Why have video input on an a/v amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JOHNNYT, Nov 7, 2002.

1. JOHNNYT

JOHNNYT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Can anyone tell me why I keep seeing video inputs on amps and what purpose does this take?

2. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For switching between inputs. If you have a DVD player, VCR, set top box etc you can run the video and audio into the receiver. Then just have one video cable going to your display.

Ian

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The only problem with Ian Wilson's answer is that the best signal from DVD and Sky is RGB and the vast majority of amps can't cope with this.

They are mainly for American use where they don't have RGB.

Whenever this question has come up before I have always said that I would much rather have an amp without any video switching at all which should not only be cheaper but sound better.

One mag stated last month when testing an amp that you shouldn't route the s-video signal through it as it was seriously degraded. Unfortunately I can't remember which amp it was.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe it was the Sony 333. A bit dodgy that.

S

5. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The other Ian :). I agree entirely. Many Receivers do not have sufficent bandwidth and are limited to s-vhs or composite switching. Given the choice you are better off bypassing the receiver altogether going directly into your display device if you have sufficent inputs.

Ian

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Cyrus have just brought out a new processor without any video connections at all. Let's hope that more manufacturers follow this route and anyone who wants video switching can buy a seperate box.

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    One other point - when setting up an A/V processor of any degree of complexity it is really useful to be able to use a video output to see the OSD (On Screen Display).

The better processors will not degrade the video signal in any significant way and the best will use a pixel switch to allow you to have the picture and OSD present at the same time. The Arcam DAVE system does this, as of course does the new Arcam AV8. I personally don't know of any others, though no doubt the readership will enlighten me on this point :)

John Dawson (Arcam)