why hate the MK dons

Discussion in 'Sport' started by jimorthon, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jimorthon

jimorthon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    last year i moved from london to bedfordshire and wanted my 3 year old son to watch live football, being unable to go to arsenal (my team) due to tickets being like gold dust and arsenal being greedy bastards. i was faced with 2 teams luton and mk dons, i chose mk dons for a veriety of reasons and i am well pleased that i did so. but, everyone seems hates MK for franchise reasons and although this probably makes me like them even more it is becoming tedious.

so anyway... why so much hate for the mk ???

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    It's probably the amount of disrespect they showed towards all the supporters who had followed them for so many years. There were other options for the club to take, but the board ignored a lot of the output from consultation with the fans groups and went ahead anyway.

Without those fans, Wimbledon would not have had the success they did.

M.K.Dons now take the position that they are NOT a continuation of Wimbledon F.C and are giving all club artifacts from pre 2004 back to the borough of Merton. They said the move was necessary for finacial reasons but I don't think any evidence was ever shown to prove this.

3. jimorthon

jimorthon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the options seem to be very limited, before the move to milton keynes they were talking about moving to dublin.whatever happened, the club had to move or cease to exist.
    i`ll admit the old wimbledon fans were not looked after but that was the fault of the old mercinary directors not the fault of the new ones. i really dont think the new owners give a monkeys about the old fans and really why should they? all they wanted was a club with league status so as to avoid starting from scratch, a very shrewd business move albeit a bit cheeky. now they have a 30,000 seat stadium and very healthy prospects. i do understand the argument i just dont think its valid.

4. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Don't get me wrong. I didn't like wimbledon f.c or their fans!! I'd be gutted if Spurs did it though!!:D

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i don't remember wimbledon actually having any fans since the premiership started. sure they were sharing a ground with Crystal Palace but that's not a difficult commute for the home fans, yet nearly every week there were more away fans at Wimbledon games than there were home fans. I don't think people in Wimbledon have a leg to stand on when they complain about the club leaving since they didn't support it in the first place.

And as for giving back all "club artifacts" to Wimbledon, they'll probably fit all the trophies in a shoe box.

6. Sicknote10

Sicknote10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Not many seem to like MK Dons, and not many seem to like AFC Wimbledon these days either! Most the fans of non-league football are annoyed at their "we're bigger than you" attitude as they try and force their way back up to league football

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Wimbledon had a fan base of about 9 - 10,000 in their premiership days. When they originally came up to the top flight it was about 5 - 7000. The town never wanted leauge football, never mind top flight football, so any attempt to re-develop locally was always opposed. The club also had a problem attracting support as Wimbledon through to Croydon and Sutton are areas from which the SW London clubs, Chelsea, Fulham and QPR have long drawn a lot of support. Never mind the competition from North London's big two.

However, there were proposals put forward to keep the club in SW London, and these were officially approved by the FA and FL. There is plenty of wasted land not far from Plough Land, where, in the current 'we love football' climate, the club, if they'd pushed (which they didn't), could have got planning permission.

But, the board first threw out the 'red herring' of Dublin, then the move out of the area to MK was mooted. It was then, with the fans now pretty sure it was going ahead, that support crashed again to the poor figures in the last Premiership and Division one years.

The real kicker was though, that the FA had previously stated, and this was the rule for over a hundred years, that no club could move more than a certain distance away from it's original home. Thus preventing US style 'across the country' moves that leave the supporters high and dry.

What happened next is what really soured fans opinions towards the new club.

The FA, having previously stated that it would uphold, it, and the FL's rule on not allowing a club to move out of it's area of origin, promptly performed a mysterious U-turn, with no reasons given, and no leave for the fans to appeal. Thus setting up the deep suspicion that money had changed hands, in particular as the FA had rejected strongly all previous moves on the basis that MK Dons eventually took place. Whether or not that's the case no-one knows, but it certainly looked that way to just about everyone who followed Wimbledon FC, and the vast majority of football fans looking on. Thus everyone is angry with both MK Dons and the FA over what happened.

Worse, it has also set a dangerous precedent. Now clubs have seen a club moved lock, stock, and barrel miles from their home, over the heads of angry fans, it can happen to any of them. None of us are safe now.

The suspicions and bitterness over what happened have not been damped down by the former Wimbledon FC staff who have now joined Wimbledon AFC. The fans, no matter how many they are, had a close relationship with those staff, and comments from them about what happened have tended to confirm peoples worst thoughts.

Hope that helps.

8. jimorthon

jimorthon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats very informative overkill,

but i still feel that although various moves and options were mooted about nothing was actually being done, until the move to mk was proposed. and surely a move albeit 60 miles away is preferable to folding.

that being said i would hate it to happen to me and the way clubs are being bought and sold these days i think fans of some clubs should be worried, it would be interesting to know what would happen to chelski if roman pulled out his money or west ham etc.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    This is because the board didn't want to stay in London. The cynical thought was that it would cost less to buy up land outside London, or to develop an existing stadia, than build from new. It was the board that kept knocking back the proposals, not anyone else. Thus they stand condemned.

On the last comment, exactly. With US investors coming in, who, from their actions back home, have no qualms about moving a club across country and to hell with the fans, that danger is now greater than ever.