why has soundandvisiononline put the price up on 757se

lodwales

Standard Member
i ordered a yamaha 757se from www.soundandvisiononline.com 4 days ago for £358 inc p&p, just went to oreder another with my friend and have gone up to £499, do you think that they under priced it or were selling to many at the cheaper price

Richard H

Standard Member
it's gone up to £399 not £499. About a week ago it was £365 ish , then it went down to £358ish - and then the price hike you mention.

I bought a DVD recorder from SandV last year and they were fine. I have noticed now that if you look in the small print they (and DigitalDirect ) add 2.5% if you pay by card - as paying with a card is all but universal this amounts to a certain lack of transparency in the advertised price I think. I know that the card companies charge 2.5% but these days that should be included in the headline price. As a result I put my business elsewhere - PeterTyson - I ordered a receiver at about midday yesterday and i gather it was delivered at 9 this morning! assuming its the right one and works ok that sounds like service that couldnt be bettered? - and no 2.5%

Knyght_byte

i hate that, shops automatically include the 2.5% in their advertised prices......that isnt right, if you pay by card it should be added at the till.......otherwise cash users are being done out of money, you think the company decides to forward the 2.5% to the card companies for cash transactions as well? nope, they keep it, therefore a cash buyer is being ripped off!

Shimmyhill

Knyght_byte said:
i hate that, shops automatically include the 2.5% in their advertised prices......that isnt right, if you pay by card it should be added at the till.......otherwise cash users are being done out of money, you think the company decides to forward the 2.5% to the card companies for cash transactions as well? nope, they keep it, therefore a cash buyer is being ripped off!
Thats wrong, its always been in the price but a law was passed that said you have to state the 2.5% as you can not claim back VAT on it. Prices are the same as ever just a clarification on where the money goes.

Knyght_byte

its not always in the price.....you go to a car dealer and tell them you want to pay by credit card.....they'll either say no or charge you another 2.5% on top.......

in a shop like sainsburys they include a disclaimer on their receipt and at the till saying they are charging you 2.5% to cover their credit services charge but that it is already included in their advertised price for items......the effect is that the customer pays the same amount, but the net price to the seller is higher and thus more profit is made (basically retaining a bit of the VAT instead of giving it all back to C&E). Which still means that a cash buyer is being done over......when a cash buyer gets to the till, 2.5% should be deducted from their bill as the shop will not be paying a charge for the transaction......OR before you enter a shop it should have a sign saying 'if you wish to pay by credit card be aware that there will be a 2.5% surcharge to cover the costs involved for us'.......but that would put customers off going in at all....the current way doesnt.....

Freelancer

I think the price has increased because it's What Hi-Fi's "Product of the Year" amp. That probably leads to a lot of fuss over it, increased orders through increased demand, making the amp desirable. They are probably getting a load of enquires about it.

Shimmyhill

Knyght_byte said:
its not always in the price.....you go to a car dealer and tell them you want to pay by credit card.....they'll either say no or charge you another 2.5% on top.......

in a shop like sainsburys they include a disclaimer on their receipt and at the till saying they are charging you 2.5% to cover their credit services charge but that it is already included in their advertised price for items......the effect is that the customer pays the same amount, but the net price to the seller is higher and thus more profit is made (basically retaining a bit of the VAT instead of giving it all back to C&E). Which still means that a cash buyer is being done over......when a cash buyer gets to the till, 2.5% should be deducted from their bill as the shop will not be paying a charge for the transaction......OR before you enter a shop it should have a sign saying 'if you wish to pay by credit card be aware that there will be a 2.5% surcharge to cover the costs involved for us'.......but that would put customers off going in at all....the current way doesnt.....
Nearly true, Cash is not any cheaper for a retailer than Credit cards. The retailer has to pay a fee for credit cards and the same for debit cards. Cash is not free for the retailer. They have to pay for storage (as in a safe) then pay for secure delivery to a bank (securicor etc) and also insurance rates for cash on the premisies. Some retailers have even said that cash costs them more than credit cards, its a well known fact that finance is best for a retailer as they will get a kick back from the finance company and not have to pay fees for the tranaction. 'paying cash' these days does not get you a better deal unless its a smaller shop where the owner walks to the bank with the cash etc !

Trending threads

Top Bottom