Why go for a denon 2910?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John Langton, Mar 8, 2005.

1. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when everyone is raving about the new samsung HD945? A lot cheaper and seems to do a lot. I know im blatently wrong in asking this but want someone to put my mind at ease as to why I should stick to the 2910

Thanks

John

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I dont think anyone is forcing you to get a 2910. Its a matter of personal preference.

Personaly I preffer Denon to Samnsung, they have a good history of DVD players and im happy with my 3910.
    Its multyregion (thanks to the fimrware kindly posted on this site)
    It upscales, it looks good and sounds good.
    What more do u want?

Im sure the Samsung is just as good and has all the same features. To be honest i havent used that samsung so i cant comment on it directly.

But any brand that has the same features as any other player simply becomes a matter of personal choice. Design and such.

Its a bit like comparing cars that have the same specs. Under the hood they perform equaly, but they all look different. Its up to you to get the one you think looks best.

3. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Another player to consider is the Panny S97. Again, I am biased, but the Panny has most of the features of the 2910 - the only major one missing is SACD - and all for 1/3 of the price. Regular firmware updates are addressing issues that affect many players (ie macroblocking and layer change), so it is quickly becoming a very nice unit.

4. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A major factor for me was the twin digital outputs (HDMI & DVI) which will allow me to connect to my projector and (future) LCD TV at the same time, and swap between the 2 using the buttons on the front panel.

Oh yeah, and the picture quality is fantastic :)

Cheers, Beastie.

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    There's plenty of players out there that do the same thing on paper, it's easy to play DVD's, it's hard to play them well. Ultimately you'll have to get a couple rigged up back to back and see what the quality is like. On paper there's not much to choose between a 2910 and a 3910, but if you see and hear the two running you'll surely notice a difference.
    It seems to be a real problem that the only way to compare products properly is to see them running, because feature lists just dont reveal the whole truth anymore.

6. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AML I am not refering to anyone making me get a 2910 I was wanting the views on both players and as to why splash out on the 2910 being a lot more expensive. I just wanted it justified. I think the matter is that I need to see them working however living in Forres Scotland it is difficult to find a decent AV store I think the closest it 7oaks at aberdeen which is about an hour and half away. I was hoping to borrow one or two kits to see it set up in my own home but not sure if i will find anyone. Do companies borrow kit through the post or do you have to pick it up from the store?

John

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    If you are planing to spend the money then maybe you should make the trip and ask them for a demo. Thats always the best way to decide before you buy!
    There are also certain players that get good or bad reviews. Look at those reviews to help you decide which player is best for you.

8. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not prepared to travel a long way to see a set up which wont even be on my own plasma. Obviously the players would look different on my own plasma and I doubt any one has a 2003 fujitsu on display at the moment to rig up. This is why I will be looking into loaning a player from somewhere hopefully 7oaks in aberdeen will be able to because if they cant next place is glasgow edinburgh which is a 3 hour drive

John

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Make sure to check out any reveiws too. Im sure AV forums has a review for the players you are looking at.

BTW, I used to live in Scotland too before coming to Japan! I lived in Edinburgh! :)