Question Why get a Yamaha RX-A3070 vs AVR-X4400H?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TheOtherMe, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheOtherMe

TheOtherMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all.

I have been looking to get a new AV receiver to replace my existing pioneer as that won't pass 4k and I have just ordered a new TV.

It would seem that the Denon AVRx4400H seems to be a bit of a bargain at £799 compared to the A3070 at around £1250.

Besides subjective sound quality (I will demo both and see if one jumps out as better than the other), is there anything that sets these two apart? As far as the reviews go, they both are 200w, Dolby atoms, DTS-x 9.2 channel AVRs.

Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    Hi. I don't think there is anything you are missing.

I have a Denon 4400 in the main room, and a Yamaha RXA810 in a second room.

Yamaha is nicely built, reliable, has lots of DSP options, and generally is an okay receiver.

The Denon is a bit 'plasticky' in comparison to the Yamaha, but it has Audyssey and the app, so the room EQ is better, the power amps also seem stronger, and bench test better than Yamaha's, especially if you have difficult to drive speakers (eg dip down to 4 ohms).

I am sure you would be happy with either. Will you be using the system for music, and what speakers do you have?

3. TheOtherMe

TheOtherMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Kef R900 fronts driven by Audiolab monoblocks, Kef R100 at the back, Kef R600c front. May put Kef speakers in the ceiling for Atmos later.

Its just for movies not music as I have a audiolab 8200cdq for music. (Unless we have a party :))

One of the key things if that the AVR amp drive the speakers to simillar levels to the 250w monoblocks.

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    No it won't, keep the monoblocks! Both of the AVR's on your shortlist have pre-outs so I would very strongly suggest that you factor in using the external amplification that you have already to drive those speakers.

5. TheOtherMe

TheOtherMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, I do intend to keep the monoblock, I currently (and will continue) to use pre outs to connect the AVR to the CDQ.

I just need enough power in the AVR to get close to the monoblocks. I have a bigish room and like a lot of headroom at cinima\party levels.

Are there any others that I should be looking at? Budget upto £1500 ish.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,396
    Worth consideration bearing in mind your £1500ish budget, the Denon X6400. Is it worth almost twice as much as the 4400, after living with a 6200 for almost three years now the 6400 would still be on my shopping list.
    Denon AVR-X6400H

7. TheOtherMe

TheOtherMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For what reason? Functionality? Sound quality?

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,403
    Stick to the Denon 4400 and save a load of cash.

9. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    In a word, No. No modern AVR that can pass through 4K will get close to 250 watts. You would be better off using external amplification if you want bags of headroom.

The most powerful AVR at the moment is the Cambridge Audio CXR 200. That can do 170 watts RMS per channel, 8 ohms (two channels driven), 120 watts RMS per channel, 8 ohms (all 7 channels driven).

The AVR's that you are considering have been bench tested and the results are here:

Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060 A/V Receiver Review Test Bench

Denon AVR-X4200W A/V Receiver Review Test Bench

10. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,396
    On paper the specs and functions are very close. The quality of the components, one would hope, are of a higher standard which tends to be the case with both Denon and Marantz as you climb the model ladder and produced in Japanese factories. Looking at the specs the 6400 lacks the mono block amps that are installed in both the X6200 and X7200 and it lacks gold plated speaker terminals, that is disappointing on a second tier model behind the 8500.

11. max90

max90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    According to Denon the 6400 has monolithic amplifier design. It also has gold plated speaker terminals.

12. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,396
    Go to either the Denon UK or USA site and bring up Specifications. Under Sound Enhancement both sites clearly show that the 6400 does not have mono block power amp construction. The only current Denon receiver to have mono block is the 8500 which has left and right separated. Under Inputs/Outputs the speaker terminals are shown as regular screw, not gold plated, the same is true of the 8500.

The link below shows a previous comparison of the 6400 and 6300 which confirms no mono block on the 6400. With the loss of these amps then there seems little sense in buying a 6400 over a 4400 especially as I use a stereo amp to drive the fronts. I'm more than happy with my 6200 and hope it lasts for a long time although my next receiver is quite likely to be an Arcam.
    AVR-X6400H vs AVR-X6300H and Denon noise problem! : hometheater

13. max90

max90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Your right it does say mono block construction for the 6200 and 6300 but not for the 6400. However if you look at the amp layout for all 3 their exactly the same. It seems only the 7200 and 8500 have mono block construction.