1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why get a Sky+ 160, when you can DIY??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DrMekon, Nov 2, 2004.

1. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know that some people do not like to mod their kit, for voiding warranty... etc... but for those who dont really care, why would you buy the +160, when it seems that upgrading your HD is becomming more successful.

The jump from £99 to £399 for 4x the storage is ridiculous (even a 250gb will only set you back around £110, oh and the 2 non fucitonal usb ports..... maybe we will be able to plug in joypads to play those wonderful interactive games ( :D )!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I stumbled accross this forum again about a week or two back, when I was looking to subscribe to sky+, and saw the +160, and thought that it looked appealing... remembering what Id read a while ago about problems upgrading the HD, the 17min bug... but all these now seem to have been eradicated, it seems due to sky software upgrades to both V1 & V2 boxes....

With this in mind, as a new subscirber... I would be best sticking to the original Sky+ and sticking in a HD myself...???

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Yes, do it yourself!
    I've got both a V1 and V2 box. I put a Samsung 120G in the V1, and a Maxtor 160G in the V2.
    No problems whatsoever in either machine. Each HDD cost around £50.

What planet are Sky on? It makes no sense at all buying a Sky+ 160 box.

3. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cheers Jules... yeah, just wasnt sure if I was missing some revolutionary groundbreaking technology or something... couldnt beieve it when they want that much more £££, for so little GB!!

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Sorry guys but most people who buy Sky+ boxes (ie the ones who don't populate this forum) would be terrified of the idea of doing their own upgrade. For them it makes perfect sense to buy one ready made, and the nice people at Sky will be just as happy to make them pay.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,755
    Has anyone upgraded the hard disk in an Amstrad yet ?

6. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Main thing is I didn't know about getting Sky+ for £99. I saw the adverts for £200, and knew the Sky+160 was £400. It is a total ripoff for basically a bigger drive, and I wouldn't have a problem with swapping the HD (I have about 6 or so computers in the house and have swapped quite a few HDs in my time). But I thought £200, plus installation (about £60 at the time I believe), plus the multiroom installation (which I thought - and it may have been - was about £40) would make the normal Sky+ about £300. The 160 was £400 (includes installation), so is actually only £100 more. The 160Gb HD would halve this, and I thought for the £50 to keep the warranty was acceptable. Plus I had heard that some people had problems with certain drives with Sky+ upgrade, with excessive noise and heat, and thought the 160 should at least be made to handle the 160gb properly from out of the box. Plus there seemed to be this elusive carrot of the usb port for future use.

So basically a lack of decent information (and searching by me I admit) at the time caused me to buy the 160. Even then I came seriously near buying a normal Sky+ and bunging in a 300Gb (or so) drive.

Plus I didn't care about the money really.

Cheers

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just think how big the uprade one a 160 box could be? 400GB? 1TB?

8. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably the same as the 40Gb I would have thought. Unless heat problems would kill the original box. Should be basically the same technology inside the box I would have thought. It's like my original laptop having a 10Gb drive. I upgraded it to 60Gb no problem. But getting it upto 100Gb and higher (are they out yet on 2.5"?) would def. work too, unless the laptop has some ceiling figure (like with RAM).

Cheers