1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why get a more expensive model?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Bernie Steak, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Please be gentle with me, I'm new to universal remotes.

:rolleyes:

For my needs, I'm happy at the moment with the one for all 6 in 1 controller. I've an LCD TV, Cambridge amp, Sky+ box, and a Yamaha DVD player. At the touch of a button I switch on the TV, sky+ and the amp. I can do everything I want.

Then, at the touch of another button I can switch on the DVD, change the input source on the TV, change the amp setting to DVD, switch off sky+.

Later I can switch it back with another button, or shut it all down.

Now, I REALLY like the look of the new Harmony 525 and I hear a lot of good things about logitech, so I've been planning on purchasing one of those, but what do these more expensive controllers offer, in terms of practicality, that the £20 controller I have now doesn't?

2. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No logitech salesmen on here then, which I guess is a good thing?

;)

Seriously, I'm wondering what the advantage of the more expensive remotes is, figured this is the (only) place to get honest feedback?

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    If your happy with your OFA and it does everything you want , then no , you don't need a new one .

If you want a new toy however ......
    :devil:
    John

4. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well, err. Yes I do.

;)

And my wife does have small hands, so the 525 should be an easy sell as it's pretty compact.

Just a bit concerned I'll get less for more?

5. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Goto the logitech website and take a "test drive"...it's at the bottom of the Harmony page.

Also go to www.remotecentral.com and read the review of the Harmony 659. All Harmonies work basically the same way, so you'll get an idea of what they're capable of. Just remember that review is a few years old, and some improvements have been made to the setup since then.

I don't have any experience of the One for All remotes, but I think it would be safe to say that the Harmonys offer more advanced macros(activities), and probably easier setup, but the Smart State is probably their most impressive feature. It remembers what devices are switched on or off, and what inputs are selected, so it makes up "macros" on the fly to get to the next activity you select. This is extremely handy if your equipment doesn't have discrete codes. ie if they only have power toggles or input toggle buttons then normal macro type universal remotes will get out of synch, where the Harmony will know how many times it needs to "press" the inpt command etc.

6. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Now THAT would be handy. Not for me, but I'm not the only remote user in the house!

7. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Having had a Pronto and now having both the Harmony 885 and 655 (in different rooms) I would say that the harmonys are better if different people are going to use it.
    To start they have more hard buttons and they look more like a conventional remote. My mum just picks up the 885 when she stays and uses it no problems. (except she choses to watch Heartbeat; perhaps the Pronto was better :D )

Richard