Why fuse should I use?

bobbydigital05

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have recently bought a Subwoofer from Richer Sounds. The power cables supplied was a European power lead and one I've never seen before. I contacted Richer Sounds and they apologized and asked if I could use a figure of eight power lead that I may have spare. The European plug had a 10amp fuse. Which seems high to me. I would think it would require a plug with a 3 amp fuse? Can anybody tell me by looking at the picture I have added below please. I'm not very good with this kind of stuff. Thank for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20180121_221230.jpg
    IMG_20180121_221230.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
Fuses can be higher than expected so the same lead can be used with various products.
The 1.6A rating doesn't seem that high for a sub woofer, if you want you could reduce the fuse to 5A or maybe 3A. Personally I wouldn't go any lower.

Are you sure you found a European plug with a fuse ? I am not aware of them having one, we are the only's that generally

They may well have a current rating but that is different.

The purpose of the fuse is to protect the cable, not the device so it depends on the thickness of the conductor in the cable. What does it already have in it as that should be sufficient.

As Chuck says, it's there for the cable. The rating of the sub according to the data plate is 1.6 A. I would use a 5A fuse with a fig 8 cable to allow a bit of head room for the sub's surge current.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom