Why don't they put digital tuners (DTT) in large flat screens?

cybersoga

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Why don't they put digital tuners (DTT) in large flat screens? wouldn't the quality of the picture be a lot better than an anologue TV tuner, or a DTT box connected to the RGB input, since it could bypass some of the anologue conversion process and display a pure progressive picture?

I have just done a search on www.comet.co.uk and found about 8 IDTV's from Sony/Phillips/Toshiba :confused:

They are out there and readily available from the likes of Comet/Dixons/Currys etc. It does work out cheaper to buy a separate DTT box and you can video the digital channels from the box, but not an IDTV:(

But they are all CRT's and don't benifit from digital video in the same way a plasma or LCD does given the right interconnect (DVI etc).

I agree entirely. All 16x9 TVs should have DTT tuners onboard. The same goes for VCRs. Only if and when mfgs start to do this, will we begin the process of ensuring that the majority of homes are equipped, so that, after a reasonable timespan (ie when most homes are likely to have replaced their TVs and/or VCRs) we can turn analogue off. It surprises me that the government hasn't yet determined a scheme that will predispose mfgs to do this (eg by allowing some tax concession on DTT equipped hardware).

But the problem with putting DTT tuners in VCR's in the past was that it was a subscription service (at least in part) and people would then have to pay an additional sub for each VCR. :(

Now that we have Freeview there does seem to be no good reason to not have digital tuners in the VCR's.

As for digital tuners for plasma/PJ's etc (IMHO) would probably be blocked by the TV broadcasters because they would not want high quality copies being made of their programmes.:mad: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MarkE19
But the problem with putting DTT tuners in VCR's in the past was that it was a subscription service (at least in part) and people would then have to pay an additional sub for each VCR
I never understood this logic. A significant number of channels were ALWAYS free-to-air and didn't need a smartcard. And, the basic 5 were often widescreen. So, the argument that 'people would have had to pay several subscriptions' is only true for people who wanted to subscribe.

Anyhow as you say it's in the past, and time for mfgs to do something about it.

Originally posted by MarkE19
As for digital tuners for plasma/PJ's etc (IMHO) would probably be blocked by the TV broadcasters because they would not want high quality copies being made of their programmes.:mad: :rolleyes: [/B]

Well the Haupage DEC2000-T & Nova T already let you rip the mpg2 stream onto your pc hard disk, how higher quality can you get? Pity the software is ****e with these products.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom