1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don't suppliers make........

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wilby, May 14, 2003.

1. wilby

wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know cost is a complication but why don't suppleirs make

1. DVD recorders which can record on both sides of a dvd without having to turn it over

2. Recorders with an analogue tuner & a digital one or two digital tuners, therefore allowing (say in the case of an HS2) the ability to record two different programmes

3. Either a nice fat HDD or two smaller ones (to take advantage of the two tuners function)

4 . Something in a price range suitable for a cheapskate like me, ooh £300 should do it.

wilby

2. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldn't mind something like that either but think we might have to wait a bit longer.

3. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    it takes time to fleece Joe consumer.

Anyways the hotist DVD recorder goner be Kiss dp550 (with a HDD) - whatever version that will be

:clap:

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    1) because you'd have to provide 2 laser mechanisms which would increase costs and reduce reliability because mechanism woud also be more complicated.

2) because 2 analogue tuners would require a second analogue - digital converters, and 2 digital tuners would require 2 converters from one digital bit-rate to another (I assume) - units like the Sky + box just record the incomming stream before conversion to analogue signal.

3) So they can fleece you now for a small hard disk, then fleece you again later for a new unit with a larger HDD.

4) Because they can charge £600 (or whatever) for it now and make a profit - and its sold to an elitist market.

Vikki

PS. hope my answers make you feel suitably screwed by manufacturers.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    you dont need two hard drives to record 2 progs at the same time. The machine can read and write at sufficient speed to playback whilst simultaneously recording, so it could almost certainly record 2 progs from different sources to the one drive with the right software