Why does this keep happening to me?

S

shadowritten

It sounds trivial, and it is. But it's bugging the crap out of me cos I can't put it right!

I've got Nero Express 6. Usually, it works like a charm. All I'm trying to do is a compile a CD for the car. Something I've done plenty of times before. But in the last day or so, every CD I burn has this weirdness going on in about the final quarter of the disc's playing time. Like the sound is pulsing on and off quite quickly and repeatedly, and totally ruining the flow of music!

What the hell am I doing wrong, and does anyone know how I can fix this?

Yours in despair. :eek:

If it's in the last few tracks, it could be buffer underrun, or the writer could be overheating (if it's getting on a bit).

Are you using the machine while you burn the disk? Or are there memory resident programs running?

I had similar problems in the past but found that walking away from the machine while it was burning eliminated it.

Try avoid using disc intensive programs/utilities whilst burning. Also as this has also been happening in the last day or so could it be a batch of faulty media you have recently purchased ?

Regards
KH

Interesting thoughts - thanks, guys.

I was doing nothing more than idly surfing while the burns took place - though on a couple of occasions, I just walked away and let Nero get on with it. The buffer underrun is auto configured, so should I manually change this? If so, what to? As for media, Keith, you might be right - see post #6.

When I compile the CDs content in Nero, everything checks out okay. It's just once it's burned that the problems start ...

Does it play ok in the pc or only dodgy in the car? OR maybe the car doesn't like the brand of cd-r your using?

Try burning the disc at a slower speed too, on the old 6 speed ones you had to burn music at 1x speed otherwise there would be a clicking noise :rolleyes:

Hmmm ... this just gets weirder. I'm now thinking that it might be dodgy (i.e. cheap) CD-Rs that are to blame, as I've just successfully burned a TDK CD-RW with no audio messiness!

Here's a question: do adhesive CD labels - the ones you stick on the non-playing surface, naturally - affect burning or playback at all? I don't see why they should, but I'm trying to eliminate everything before having a rant at my local WHSmith for a refund!

Cheers!

Labels can unbalance a CD causing it to vibrate and creating problems for the laser to track.

As CD's are recorded in a spiral beginning at the centre of the disc (this was done to allow different sized discs to be compatible), the problem will be worse towards the end of the CD at the outer edge of the disc with the disc 'fluttering'.

I would be inclined to use a CD marker instead,
Hope this helps, Keith.

klr10 said:
Labels can unbalance a CD causing it to vibrate and creating problems for the laser to track.

As CD's are recorded in a spiral beginning at the centre of the disc (this was done to allow different sized discs to be compatible), the problem will be worse towards the end of the CD at the outer edge of the disc with the disc 'fluttering'.

I would be inclined to use a CD marker instead,
Hope this helps, Keith.

Thanks mate, that's really useful advice. :thumbsup:

Thanks to Keith, I think I've cracked the problem ... even if it did cost me 8 CD-Rs off a 25-disc spindle to work it out! My mistake, it would appear so far, was to put adhesive labels on ALL my new media BEFORE burning anything!!! Seems the extra weight of a sliver of paper and glue is just enough to unbalance the CD towards its outer edge, as Keith describes, and causes this 'fluttering' effect. So, I've just spent 30mins carefully peeling off the labels! Small price to pay to get things sorted.

Cheers, Keith!

Hmm ... well, it seems I could yet have been fooled again. I now doubt that the adhesive labels were necessarily at fault for the 'fluttering' effect after burning, though I dare say these didn't help. More likely now is that the media is at fault. From a spindle of 25 CD-R80s, I've found three that are unburnable, three that burn partially, then fail, and several more that burn with the 'flutter'. Not one has so far burned without fault, so I've sent manufacturer Memorex an email about it. And ordered some good ole TDKs from Amazon! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for their input on this.

CD Media is weird stuff. I have a TDK Drive yet if I buy TDK discs they don't burn half the time, figure that out!

As for some of the CDs still not burning, you could have damaged the surface when removing the labels. The data is actually on the top of the disc, not the bottom, and is therefore very easily upset.

Hope you get a positive response from Memorex, anyway!

Spangle2k5 said:
CD Media is weird stuff. I have a TDK Drive yet if I buy TDK discs they don't burn half the time, figure that out!

As for some of the CDs still not burning, you could have damaged the surface when removing the labels. The data is actually on the top of the disc, not the bottom, and is therefore very easily upset.

Cheers for this.

I heard back from them, and they wanted all kinds of info, which I gave them. Won't change anything, mind. I've used Memorex just fine in the past - can't JUST be the sticky labels that affected the burn, as the discs still wouldn't work properly with them removed (and I was unbelievably careful, too!). Then I bunged in a TDK CD-RW, and hey presto, everything's normal.

Got 100 TDK CD-Rs coming soon. Not bad for about £12 from Amazon. Cheaper than on the high street.

shadowritten said:
Got 100 TDK CD-Rs coming soon. Not bad for about £12 from Amazon. Cheaper than on the high street.

Bargain :thumbsup:

Spangle2k5 said:

Result!

Guy at Memorex is sending me a 10-pack of CD-Rs to make up for at least some of those that were ruined.

Can't say much fairer than that really. :clap:

shadowritten said:
Result!

Guy at Memorex is sending me a 10-pack of CD-Rs to make up for at least some of those that were ruined.

Can't say much fairer than that really. :clap:

True to his word, I got my 10 CD-Rs today! :thumbsup:

That's Memorex in my good customer service books.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom