Why does this image look like this?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Norvegia, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    would you please tell me why is the reason for this screenshot to look that bad? What does cause this effect? If it is because it is interlaced, is it always going to look the same?

Look at the zebra crossing.
    [​IMG]

During the playback it isn't that obvious but the horizontal lines are still visible.

Please give me some feedback on this and what should I do to get a better picture.

Thanks.

2. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would help if you can tell us specifically what exactly is it about the picture above that is bad? If you convert a picture to jpg/gif or other web format you always get a considerable drop in quality.

If you mean the blurry appearance, I would have thought this was motion blur - if you freeze any high speed sequence from any film, it will be blurred, no matter how sharp it looks while playing.

Mat

3. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I mean all the horizontal lines that appear mostly over the zebra crossing and those strange patches over the right down side of the picture.

4. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you mean - what kit are you using?

5. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By kit do you mean hadware and software? If so, I have a Radeon 9700PRO and I use the Nvidia 4.0.20 video codec with hardware acceleration enabled and using Overlay Mixer 2; the De-interlace control is set to "Automatic" and the De-interlace mode set to "Best Available".

If that wasn't what you were asking for, let me know please.

Thanks.

6. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I should have said that I don't get any video artifacts like these if I disable "hardware acceleration" on the codecs. Does that mean that my card is faulty or something?

7. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an ATI version of the codec/driver? Your card is an ATI card, not Nvidia.

Also, is this a DVD movie or a game screenshot?

Mat

8. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF the image is from a movie try setting de-interlace mode to 'FILM'. Sometikme Auto isn't good at detecting de-interlacing methods, esp if the DVD is incorrectly flagged.

Also make sure you have the latest catalyst drivers for your card (although check other thread because I think some people have problems with the latest and have rolled back to the second latest ones).

Nick

9. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry guys, it was my fault :blush:. I had BSPlayer to remember video window size (checked and had it to 640x480) and when playing this particular file, as it is 720x576, the stretching the player was doing to the picture, was the cause of those artifacts.

Anyway, thanks to both for helping.

Regards.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The NVidia codecs aren't specific to NVidia hardware, they work fine with ATIs.