1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does the player affect copy protection?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fuel Crusher, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I use a dvd copy protection remover in conjunction with my E-30 and Proline 1000 it works 100% of the time. When I rig it up with my panny RA-82 as the player it does not work at all. I thought that if anything different recorders might have an effect not the player.
    Anybody have an explanation?
    Paul

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Fuel Crusher

Can you do me a favour and tell me what a dvd copy remover is and how do i get one? I have the philips q50 and cant copy any dvds that have macrovision and of what I know there is no hack for this player for macrovision.

thank/evans

3. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If your copying an r1 dvd then as well as macro there is cgms which im not sure this device will defeat. Could it be the case that the dvd you tried to copy with the ra-82 was an r1 title?

5. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately R2.
    A suggestion in another forum is that the proline, being an old player, doesn't send the cgms flag to the e-30 whereas the ra82 does.
    I wouldn't mind so much but the proline is becoming a bit unreliable at reading discs lately.

Paul

6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That sounds most likely in fact I am almost positive i'ts the reason. I have an old 709 which was made before cgms was introduced and all I need to do is disable macro to be able to backup any of my dvd's. I was told cgms was only present on r1 titles, but I've heard a lot of people disagre with this statement. So Cgms and the fact your proline is old enough to have been made before it was introduced would be my guess as well.

Similarly my 709 is playing up and I have been looking around for a suitable player which is macro and cgms disabled. There is a pioneer player and a shampo player (both of which have been discontinued). The acoustic solutions 321 does the trick but PQ is poor. The best solution I found was in fact the ra-82!!! multiregionmagic sell it macro and cgms disabled (and of course it plays ram disks). Now I've had a look and they normally charge £69 for modification including collection and delivery (although I didn't see a price listed for the ra-82). So this may be your best bet.

7. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I noticed that from multi-regionmagic aswell. May have to give em a ring although I'm not sure about sending the player off. I'd rather solder the chip on myself. I've found a website offering a chip that makes the player DVD-R friendly not just VCR friendly (apparently there's a difference) but it'll cost me about as much as buying a new 'budget' player to replace the proline. Budget players seem to be most likely to work but finding one thats guarenteed to work may be difficult.
    Ah well.

Paul

8. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well, the 321 deff works cause I bought one myself, but like I say, the picture quality isn't great.

I get your concerns about sending your player away, but mrm are a good company (bought my e30 from them), and the courrier picks it up and delivers it back. Im sure its probably insured as well.

Another multiregionmagic solution might be the macro scart, thats meant to disable cgms and macro if its any help, and is about £50 I think.