1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does the picture jump when using Composite?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by funkyd, Jul 13, 2003.

1. funkyd

funkyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever I connect a composite source to my TV - Pana TX28PS1 - especially games consoles, the image is unstable and repeatedly jumps up and down on the screen.

If I turn on the console, and go to manual tuning of the tv and re-tune the channel, the image stops jumping. If I then switch off the console and back on again the jumping starts up.

It is as if the TV isn't 'locking' onto the signal source for some reason.

Sometimes it does it on the S-video input - but never the scart. I am guessing that perhaps the circuitry that comes before the scart input for composite and s-video might be faulty?

Any ideas?

2. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you connecting via scart. The cable may be sending RGB as well. I've noticed some picture shift up and to the right when RGB is used on my 32pl1. It could be switching between comp and RGB. When you decided to tune a channel you where no longer using the scart but UHF via the aerial. Perhaps you should decide to use one or the other?

3. funkyd

funkyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay - I've made a technical error here - not composite - but in fact the aerial - as you say UHF. If I tune the tv to the channel of my console the image is fine. As soon as I go back to the channel and switch on the console the image starts to jump up and down the screen.

It does this with the aerial, s-video and sometimes the composite (yellow connector?)

The plot thickens..... on my N64, with some games when using composite, the picture is stable but there is a 'flashing' in the background - like a white light. It is really strange because with other games it is fine - but all games work on another tv just fine.

I tried my SNES - it works fine on S-video but on UHF I have to manually tune it each time I want to use it - otherwise I get the picture jumping

I tried my Master system and Megadrive - on UHF I have to manually tune also!

I spoke to Panasonic and they reckon there is a fault. The thing is that the retailer says they will charge me £50 if the engineer is not satidified there is a fault!!

4. funkyd

funkyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

I spoke to a TV engineer and he told me that the image stability is due to the fact that UK sets run at 50Hz and not 60Hz.

Now I'm still confused because my N64 and other consoles are all UK and so they should work right?

He also said that on the whole, these 'older' consoles are poorly made and the signal quality isn't that good. Newer Tv's are more sensitive to poor signals etc and that is why my tv isn't 'locking on' to the image...

Can anyone say for sure if this sounds plausable?

Cheers