Why does Sky+ delete "Other Channels"?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rogerh, Mar 26, 2005.

1. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does anyone know why Sky+ deletes channels stored as "Other Channels" after they have been working fine and when they are still transmitting?
    I'm infuriated that after I go to the long winded tuning in and saving to "Other Channels", the viewing is fine until I go to "Other Channels" a few days later and find that none are stored.
    I then have to restore the channels and wait until the box deletes them again!
    I thought it might be when there is a software upgrade, but the box does it when there is no change shown.
    Is there a way to make the box "keep" the channels and stop the deletion?
    Is it something that happens on all Sky+ boxes, I have one of the first type before the facelift and without the larger disc?
    Is it something that "ordinary" Sky boxes do? :confused:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I don't think it's an actual design feature, probably more like buggy software.
    I've never lost the added channels although I've only ever had a handful just for curiosity which may be a factor.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Which "other channels" are you referring to ?

If they are ones that you have found purely by searching the transponders, they may only be test ones which Sky will remove once the tests are complete.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Most likely to be for BBC and ITV channela from out with your immediate region.

5. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The "Other Channels" I'm storing are not from 28deg satelites but from 13deg (Hot Bird) and 19 deg (Astra 1).
    The reason I'm using (or trying to use) the Sky+ box is that, after much moaning from my wife about me playing with the tv, I've sold my Echostar tuner but still have the connections from the lnbs positioned for 13 and 19 deg.
    I'm using a manual A/B switch to change the Sky+ input over from 28 deg to either 13deg or 19deg and I always switch it back to the "normal" 28 deg feed after viewing any "Other Channels", so the Sky+ box always has a live connection to to its' normal default transponder.
    The second Sky+ feed I alway leave connected to its' normal 28deg feed.
    I've tried using either of the 2 Sky+ inputs but no difference.
    As you've said, I've also tried storing "Other Channels" from 28 deg, but the same thing happens.