1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does no one know the answer?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by UselessPratt, May 21, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay. Here is a question that I raised on the forum once before and things got a little confused. Folks tended to disagree. I phoned manufacturers, shops, and it got worse. No one seems to agree on the answer. So I will ask again....!!

My question concerns the onboard DAC on a DVD player for CD replay. They all have ‘em and in the case of some players ( ARCAM for example ) you definitely want to use them

But you need to take care. If you just connect the coax lead between your DVD and your AV amp, you wont be using the DAC in the DVD, you will be using the DAC in the AV amp. So if you want to play CD’s and use the DAC in the DVD you need to connect the stereo alog out’s to the amp.

Now, to make matters more complicated, some DVD players now play DVD-A and use 5.1 audio outputs on the back of the DVD player. Since AV amps do not contain DVD-A decoders, you must connect the six 5.1 out’s on the back of the DVD to the 5.1 in’s on the amp.

Now here’s the question. If you connect the 5.1’s as above, it is still necessary to keep the stereo connection to continue using the DVD's DAC?

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    How about you just suck it and see. It doesnt seem like a big thing buying another pair of interconnects, why is it a problem for you?

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well I just played a CD on my DVD using 5.1 analog outs.

I have digital coax & 5.1 analog out running from my DVD player to my amp. If I use direct mode (switching off the digital out) using just the 5.1 analog out from the DVD to the multi channel in on the amp (selecting multi channel in as the source on the amp) & play a CD in the player (no connections from/to the stereo only ouputs/inputs) my CD plays back stereo fine utilising the front L & R of my 5.1 inputs.

So it has to be using the DVD player DAC & the the Front L & R RCA in from my 5.1 analog inputs as the digital out is not working & the analog stereo out is not even connected.

That's real world......not it should.

4. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vonhosen I appreciate real world! That is good news too...

Cheapskate2003 the reason is that I am already facing a big bill for interconnects which I am trying to reduce, so I don't want any I don't need. Also it might prove a little difficult to tell ( well, for me, anyway!!) and bit confusing - better to just ask.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    With my Pioneer 757 ... the "Left / Right" outputs are the exact duplicate of the "Front Left / Right" outputs of the 5.1 output.

(Hope that makes sence)

In other words ... you only need to connect the 5.1 output, not the 5.1 plus the Left and Right.

Of course on the Arcam DV89 / DV27A it might be difference.

As for cost of interconnects ... try to demo a few and decide at which point you no longer notice a difference.

Vikki

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    On an Arcam DVD-Audio player (DV89/27A) you don't need to run the extra cables from the second pair of stereo outs alongside the multichannel set of six unless you want to use a stereo input on your amp for say CDs and the multichannel for everything else. Unless you are into multiroom stuff I am not sure why you would want to do that as the MC input normally bypasses more circuitry in the amp and is potentially better sounding and, if you play a CD, then it will normally output through just the L and R outputs of the multichannel outputs.

Sorry about the long sentences!

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I would have thought most players would use the same outputs for normal stereo output as they do for front L&R with 5-channel sources. But it's easy enough to check. Just connect your 5.1 analogue cables, then unplug the digital connection and play a CD. If you can still hear something then you've got all the wires you need. :)

8. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good. My main point was that the Arcam is good for playing CD's and I didn't want to accidentally use the DAC in the AV amp.

9. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But I wanted to avoid buying interconnects unless necessary. Since they cost a bomb.
    Anyway, seems like they are not needed.

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    UselessPratt ... for testing you could use any old interconnect though ... most devices come with a piece of wet string for the job - could use that to test!!

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    On many players the L and R stereo are not the same as L and R from 5.1 outputs. In fact on some players you may have to have both sets connected. It is all down to your particular player you have. In fact there are many out there that use the L and R from 5.1 outputs as these are purer than the downmixed L and R outputs! It is all down top your player and how it works, there is already stuff on this site on this. And you now have Arcams take on it.

12. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned up the manufacturer, and the general feeling was that the DVD will use the 5.1 front left right. ( They sounded "fairly" convinced about this..!!).

13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    You really would like to think that they would know! Just a thought but those outputs might sound different from the normal stereo outputs, it has to be worth experimenting with them, you might decide that there is a difference.

14. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    UselessPratt

I thought it was the Arcam DVD player you were interested in.

If it is , you've got the answer from Mr Arcam (John Dawson)himself. They will sound better using the front L&R of the 5.1 inputs as they avoid more circuitry.

15. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be nice if they were 100%. But it took the entire tech staff nearly five minutes to be only 80% sure!!
    You are right, ultimately I will experiment. I just didn't want to buy cables that I don't need. Also I had a chance to get some really good cables amazingly cheap, so I wanted to get all I needed!!

16. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi vonhosen,
    I was "um"ing and "ah"ing about the Arcam when I came accross a chance purchase. I managed to get a Tosh 9500E at almost the same price as an Arcam DV89 so went for that instead.