Why does my set display 480p in a border?

Samiad

Standard Member
Got my Wii and component cable today but there's an annoying issue with it - yes the image is better quality, but when I turn 480p on the image is displayed with a border around the edge. It's not only on the Wii, but seemingly on any 480p source (same with the PS2).

Is this normal? The set is a Sharp Aquos LC-32GD7E

This is 480i :

This is 480p - note the small border

JonStatt

Well...I do get borders with Rayman Rabbids for some reason but not on everything. Nevertheless some TVs have adjustments for size/position that is unique to each display mode. I don't know about the Sharp, but you might want to check if you can make the adjustment. Of course after you change anything make sure it is specific to 480p and hasn't changed it for all modes!

Jonathan

Samiad

Standard Member
I've gone through the menus and there doesn't appear to be anything other than moving the display position horizontal and vertical.

Rayman definitely has larger borders than this, which is why you noticed them.

FrancescoNoir

Novice Member
Surely that should not happen? I though that borders would only happen if your TV were displaying 1:1 pixel mapping, and even in that case the borders would be much much bigger. I would have thought that the TV would scale otherwise.

Is there an "auto-adjust" setting in the menu somewhere?

themanwithapc

If this set is similar to a GA6E, then there is a button on the remote for adjusting display size. Try it, as it gets rid of borders over VGA on my set.

Samiad

Standard Member
Setting the screen to Zoom mode actually seems to sort it out....it eliminates the borders completely and doesn't appear to remove any of the actual image.

I thought Zoom simply cut some image from the top and bottom but it appears to have done the trick (fingers crossed).

themanwithapc

Setting the screen to Zoom mode actually seems to sort it out....it eliminates the borders completely and doesn't appear to remove any of the actual image.

I thought Zoom simply cut some image from the top and bottom but it appears to have done the trick (fingers crossed).
I think Zoom on non HD sources (rf, scart etc.) behaves like that. Stuff through component, VGA and HDMI just toggles stretching the image to fill the whole screen (it does on my set AFAIK).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom