Question Why does my internet connection drop when using DisplayPort cable?

madmanfame

Novice Member
Reaction score
So i've just purchased a new monitor and a DisplayPort cable to use G-Sync.

Unfortunately using the DP cable kills my internet connection. Download speeds are terrible and, due to the lag, it's virtually impossible to play games online.

Everything's fine when I use the HDMI cable. But of course to use G-Sync (which is a must for me) I need to use the DP cable. So this is really irritating.

So what's the crack here? Anyone experienced anything similar?

That is truly bizarre, I've never heard anything like that before.

I would try disabling the network adapter that is in the PC (disable at bios level if it's built into the motherboard), borrow/get a USB ethernet or WiFi adapter and see if the problem persists with that.

I've sorted it, but haven't determined the exact cause of the problem.

TL;DR
When the WiFi card or WifFi dongle is installed at the back of the PC -- within 10cm of the DP Cable -- the WiFi connection plummets or simply doesn't work.

When the the WiFi dongle is plugged in at the front of the PC -- away from the DP Cable -- the connection is fine.

borrow/get a USB ethernet or WiFi adapter and see if the problem persists with that.

So yesterday this is exactly what I did. I picked up a cheap USB WiFi dongle to see if the problem was with my WiFi card. (I'd been in touch with the cable manufacturer and they insisted that the problem couldn't be with their cable, that instead it must be with my WiFi card.)

I first plugged the WiFi dongle into the front of the PC. Within 20 seconds it connected to my router. I then tested the connection by streaming some video, downloading some files, and playing some online games. Everything was swift and stable.

I then took the WiFi dongle and plugged it into one of the rear USB ports. These are within about 10cm of the DP Cable. At first it connected without any issues. After about 30 seconds however I started to notice the same old problems. Videos started to buffer or wouldn't load at all, and download speeds plummeted to negligible levels. Before I could even test an online game the connection had been lost, and I was subsequently unable to reconnect to the network. This confirmed that the issue wasn't with my original WiFi card, and that it must have something to do with the WiFi receivers being in close proximity to the DP Cable.

So what's the exact issue? I still don't know. Again, my hunch remains that -- as weird as it sounds -- the cable must be faulty. Either that, or there's an issue with the GPU. All three DP ports produce the same results though, and everything is fine with the HDMI cable, so i'm still inclined to think the issue is with the DP cable.

I suppose the next step is to test another DP Cable, one from the same manufacturer and maybe one from another. If the results are the same then I guess the issue must be something internal...

As @next010 has stated, it is bizarre. I've never come across it and was doing some research into it and have found nothing remotely like it.

As for the cable manufacturer, they would say it can't possibly be their cable. But I would have to suspect that it is the cable. As you say the only way to prove that is by using a different cable, though you only really need to buy a different one to prove the point. If you buy from Amazon then you can always return it if not needed.

Let us know how you get on please.

Interesting update.

Yesterday (for a totally unrelated reason) we received a new router from our ISP. It's dual-band so i've been able to take advantage of the 5GHz capability of my new WiFi dongle.

No matter where I plug it in -- at the front or near the DP cable at the back -- the connection is strong: consistent download speeds of 36/37mbps.

However, when I connect to the 2.4GHz band on either the dongle or the WiFi card, the connection plummets.

So this narrows it down somewhat, although we're still left wondering what the exact problem is. Why does using the DP cable cause problems on the 2.4GHz band but not the 5?

As you say the only way to prove that is by using a different cable, though you only really need to buy a different one to prove the point. If you buy from Amazon then you can always return it if not needed.

Although i've found a way around the problem, I think for the sake of just knowing what the problem is i'm going to pick up another cable.

I'll keep you posted.

I had a similar issue with a mouse nit internet related but, if I had the dongle in the back of the machine or the front the mouse would stutter, if I moved it to a hub it is fine.
The problem is apparently cause by the CPU frequencies, certain frequencies effect the dongle if too close.
I wonder if this is a simialr thing even tho the cable must be shielded

Interesting update.

No matter where I plug it in -- at the front or near the DP cable at the back -- the connection is strong: consistent download speeds of 36/37mbps.
Assume your talking about plugging in the Wifi dongle?

However, when I connect to the 2.4GHz band on either the dongle or the WiFi card, the connection plummets.
So from what your saying here, you have a Wifi card in a slot on the mobo and a Wifi dongle ?

So this narrows it down somewhat, although we're still left wondering what the exact problem is. Why does using the DP cable cause problems on the 2.4GHz band but not the 5?

It really is an interesting one. I recall dealing with something on an issue with dongles a while back and as @Peeej is saying the dongle might be an issue and might be better plugged into a USB hub, it was a recommendation I suggested having done some research on the issue at that time.

Although i've found a way around the problem, I think for the sake of just knowing what the problem is i'm going to pick up another cable.

I'll keep you posted.

Yes if it was a problem I was having I would also want to know if it was the cable.

So I picked up another DP cable.

To my surprise the results were exactly the same.

Connections via the WiFi card (plugged into the motherboard @techquest) simply don't work. Most of the time it just can't connect, other times when it does the download speeds are atrociously low.

Connections via the WiFi dongle on the 5GHz band remain perfect. Easy to connect and fast download speeds.

However, since my last update I am now able to connect to the 2.4GHz band via the WiFi dongle even when plugged into the back of the PC and irrespective of which DP cable I use. Download speeds when the dongle is plugged in at the back are around 7-8mbps, whereas at the front speeds are usually around 20mbps. This seems to suggest that the issue concerns the proximity of the WiFi device to the DP cable: the closer it is, the worse it performs, with some performing worse than others.

It could also be that @Peeej is onto something with the cpu frequencies. Because it isn't just the DP cable that the card and dongle are next to, it's the cpu as well.

The only thing I am certain of now is that the original DP cable isn't faulty, but it is the using of the DP cable that is causing the issue with the connection.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but i'd like to get to the bottom of it. Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should test next?

You can get double shielded types for optimal reduction of electromagnetic interference. So what type of DP cable are you using, whose is the manufacturer and version?

Might be a solution but no promises.

Never heard of this issue before. Try exchanging it for a different model, maybe that works.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi, did you ever find a solution to this?
I just bought another monitor and I’m running into the exact same problem! every time I plug in the display port cable my internet instantly drops and I am then unable to connect to my network.
Many thanks :)

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this?
I just bought another monitor and I’m running into the exact same problem! every time I plug in the display port cable my internet instantly drops and I am then unable to connect to my network.
Many thanks :)
Nah, to be honest I couldn’t be bothered in the end! But even though I didn’t get to the bottom of what the problem actually was, I was still able to get around it. So if you haven’t already I’d recommend just trying out some of the stuff I did (moving dongles, changing bands etc) and seeing where you end up.

Not sure if this is relevant but a few months ago we got Sky Q installed and hooked up one of the mini boxes next to my setup. If you’re not aware the mini box receives its signal for TV and downloads and stuff from the main Sky Q box in the living room. It also serves as a WiFi booster. Interestingly whenever this was powered on and near my PC, rather than improve my connection it actually crippled it! Games like Rocket League became totally unplayable because of the crazy ping I was getting. Move the mini box away or turn it off though and everything would go back to normal.

So I dunno, maybe my rig is super sensitive to certain frequencies or something (I’m not knowledgeable enough to say with any certainty!). Maybe this is what you’re experiencing as well?

Anyway hope this at least kind of useful. I know how frustrating it is so I’m happy to answer any more questions to help you get to the bottom of it 😊

im having the same problem too,i recently got benq mobiuz ex2510 and when im plugging the DP in my whole wireless interent connection in my house got cut off,only my pc can have access to wifi,cause im using an ethernet cable connected straight to my motherboard,but if im using HDMI my whole wifi connection is not having any problems at all

Actually this doesn't sound like an interference problem at all. It sounds like a bus speed or interrupt problem. It only 'appears' to be an interference issue.

My guess is that there may be two chipsets or data streams paths in your system and one is unable to handle the high data bit rate as well as the other when connected. What is the spec of your system, particularly the motherboard.

ioes your wifi card includes a bluetooth connection as well? if so disable it and try again....i have heard that usb-c cables also have this problem with bluetooth enabled on the wireless card

Actually this doesn't sound like an interference problem at all. It sounds like a bus speed or interrupt problem. It only 'appears' to be an interference issue.

My guess is that there may be two chipsets or data streams paths in your system and one is unable to handle the high data bit rate as well as the other when connected. What is the spec of your system, particularly the motherboard.
i have b450m gaming plus from msi and ryzen 5 3600 sorry for the late reeply cause i havent check this thread in a while,last 2 days i tried using my display port again and it works for those 2 days but today the problem appear again,no internet connection for all wireless device except my pc cause i got thernet cable plugged in straight to my motherboard,havent tried with usb-c to ethernet adapter cause i lost it when im cleaning my room

I experiencing a wifi 6 interference related problem, but with opposite result: my Orbi Wifi 6 AP is interfering with my DisplayPort cable and monitor! I have a Samsung CRG9 that I want to connect via DP to Evga 3080 Ti do I can use G-Sync and get 120Hz refresh rate. However I’ve been getting static snow bands on monitor every 20-30 seconds, and it would black screen every couple of minutes. This is not a problem if I use HDMI but I’m stuck with 60Hz and no G-Sync. I’ve tried multiple DP cables and all the same result. Then I tried moving my Orbi Wifi-6 AP from behind the monitor to a couple feet away, and voila the static snow interference disappeared!

At least in my case I can move the AP away from the monitor/computer as they are separate units. But I’m wondering if this is related to your problem, that Wifi-6 spectrum will interfere with DP and only DP cabling…

I had a similar problem with my dual screen, one with HDMI (main) and the other one with HDMI to DP.
First I thought the problem was with my wifi card, but after a check on my drivers and WIFI antenna, I dropped this idea.

My problem was when I test my ping and I have only my first screen enable my ping is fine and around 10ms, when I active my second screen, the ping is unstable and go around 100ms. So weird that a screen can impact the ping.

I checked my issue online and didn't found a lot of things about that, only this forum was useful:

The thing who have solved my problem (but I don't understand the reason behind):
I played with my wifi setting in my setting.

My config:
Windows 10 Professionnel
Wifi card: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Wifi: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) 5 GHz

If anyone have an explanation then I'm all ears.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.png
    2.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 58
Wi-fi will default to 5Ghz as it's faster so I suspect you were connecting at 5Ghz before and the changes you've made have disabled that and you're now connecting at 2.4Ghz.

(802.11a is an old standard and I'd imagine your hardware is prioritising the newer g at 2.4Ghz).

Electrical interference will be affecting a certain frequency range which is why changing frequency may have avoided the issue.

There may be better way to set that up to connect at 2.4Ghz as disabling anything faster than 802.11g is likely to be a fairly slow connection. You may be able to do it through the router control panel if you can't find an option on the PC end.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom