Why does my 360 not recognise my external usb hard drive?

I have just bought an external hard drive caddy for a spare 320gb I had. It is all working fine on the pc and I have moved all my pics/music/wmv files etc onto it.

When I plug it in the xbox though it does not show as a device for me to access. Yet when I plug in my 4gb pen drive it pops up straight away.

What do I need to do?

phil5743

This is because it is formatted NTFS and not FAT32. It needs to be FAT32 to be recognised - you can do this either by connecting the drive to a Windows 98 PC and re-formatting it or I think there are various utilities from hard drive manufacturers to do it as well (search this forum or Google)

lovelldr

One thing though, if it is formatted as fat32, then that has the 4gb file size limitation yes? Well, I have a wmv file that is 4.3gb in size that I ripped, and wanted to play this on the 360 through external drive, and have the same problem. Is there anyway to get the 360 to recognise ntfs?

You'd have thought that ms would've made it compatible!!! Duh :p

bubs999

One thing though, if it is formatted as fat32, then that has the 4gb file size limitation yes? Well, I have a wmv file that is 4.3gb in size that I ripped, and wanted to play this on the 360 through external drive, and have the same problem. Is there anyway to get the 360 to recognise ntfs?

I read on this forum somewhere that you could format it whatever Apple MAC's use, which will then allow more than 4gb and be read on a PC and Xbox 360.

Can't remember where the thread was tho.

jdbrooks

Novice Member

Is it possible to burn your 4.3gb file onto a dvd and let the xbox read it that way?

N

NickMon

I have an 120gb USB2 external disk in a caddie, that my 360 can not see..

Its formated as Fat32 has 50gb of mp3s on it...any ideas?

My ipod shuffle (mark1) works fine..

jaspain

Hi

I have an external 120gb WD passport drive and I put 8/9Gb movies on it and play direct from it. The Disk needs to be formatted in HFS+ file format, I use a program called Macdrive and it works a treat, FAT32 has the file size limit so you cant run HD WMV Movies from it. HFS+ has now such issues.

Just do a search for Macdrive 7 onwards and it will be fine.

Hope this helps

Jas

JonnyFriendly

Did the original poster have any joy with this? I've just got an external 320gb, and it does not work at all, FAT 32 or not. Any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom