• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

why does it default to 16.9

talkinloud

Established Member
just picked up a cheapo alba set top box , connected it up and changed screen settings on tv and freeview box to 4.3 but it corrects itself and shows 16.9, mum has poor eyesight so full screen is what shes after, what can i do..cheers

scribbler101

Established Member
Much scope for conflict between different bits of kit. And typically you can change the settings two ways; for NOW and for DEFAULT.

I would guess that you have not changed the default. On my Bush stb that is one of the TV Setup items, as distinct from the "Wide" control that changes for the present use only. I discoverd it because mine defaulted to 4:3 and I wanted 16:9 letterbox! "You can't please all of the people all of the time" I think Bob Dylan said that.

If none of that works, suggest posting the exact models of stb and TV in the hope someone knows thgeir individual ways.

And, if all elese fails, you might :rtfm:

fernandez

Distinguished Member
I assume that the OPs mother is using a non-widescreen TV.
I only have widescreen TVs and I tried the following options on a couple of Freeview boxes - a Digihome PVR and old Thomson DTI100 - both coupled to the TV with a fully wired SCART.

1 Freeview box configured for 4:3 TV - a 16:9 broadcast was shown with black bands top and bottom with the picture squashed. A 4:3 broadcast was shown pillarboxed as it should be

2 Freeview box configured for 16:9 TV - 16:9 broadcast shown correctly, 4:3 broadcast pillarboxed

The 16:9 flag appears to be left on by default by most broadcasters.
Does the TV in question have a choice for 16:9 or 4:3 sources?

Pin 8 on the SCART handles 16:9/4:3 switching and cutting this pin *may* overcome the problem

Geofbob

Prominent Member
just picked up a cheapo alba set top box , connected it up and changed screen settings on tv and freeview box to 4.3 but it corrects itself and shows 16.9, mum has poor eyesight so full screen is what shes after, what can i do..cheers

Since you ask what you can do - dare I suggest buying your mum a wide-screen TV, so she can all the image full-screen. (Almost all programmes and movies are now wide screen, and have to be chopped to fill a 4:3 screen.)

talkinloud

Established Member
fernandez, yes its a 24'' non widescreen tv, the screen settings if i remember rightly are standard, zoom 1,zoom2 and 16.9, if i select standard and 4.3 on the freeview box it initially seems ok and stays on full screen but as soon as i change channels it goes to 16.9 and on this small tv it crops a lot off....

scribbler101

Established Member
That seems to be exactly what I mentioned earlier. You are changing the screen setting NOW, but as soon as you change channel it reverts to its default. You need to work out how to change the default - in some sort of setup menu.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom