• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Why does everyone love a low SHARPNESS setting?

redorblue89

Novice Member
So in finding my latest TV (Panasonic 65" CX700b) I've done a lot of TV research. I'm so surprised that in every calibration settings for most of the TV's i looked at Sharpness was either set at 0 or about 25%. From having extensively played with the settings on my TV my sharpness setting for PS4, TV & Blu-Rays is always 100(highest possible).

I find that lower than that, especially in video games you loose details in textures and things that you should be seeing as details in the PQ are blurred out. I mean what on earth is the point of 4k content (i used youtube) if the sharpness is at 0 and no extra detail can be perceived passed that of 1080P?

Is there something 'm missing here? Seems almost like a universal standard to buy an expensive TV, turn off sharpness and loose detail in the picture.

Silverblack

Having the sharpness set to high can introduce ringing and artefacts, i have the sharpness set to 2 on my tv and the picture is sharp on movies and games.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Not all TV sharpness controls work in the same way.

On some, having it set to zero, means zero additional sharpening is taking place - in other words, what you are seeing is exactly what is being output by the source.

On others, that's the middle position or some other random setting, and you have to find the ideal setting using test patterns.

I'm very surprised you're using 100% on a Panasonic though - as far as I know they are almost universally best set to zero.

It's personal taste, but I expect that I'd find looking at your TV completely horrific!

Might be worth watching this:-

thewoe2

I have my LG set to 23 out of 50 for sharpness, ive tested it lots and on 10 it looks way too soft. 23 introduces no artifacts and looks perfect to my eyes. Im using the LG 55UF850v.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I just use cinema mode. Looks fine to me.

I tried messing with settings and I ended up with strained eyes after watching Transformers 4 (it was a test!! and the blonde would clearly get it..), so got it all kinds of wrong.

NeilJWD

Standard Member
Like any setting, personal environment conditions and preferences play a large role.
If you prefer a setting, keep it, regardless if the experts say otherwise, you're watching it not them.

I have an old Panny Plasma and for Video games I have the sharpness just 1 notch below max for the best visual fidelity, and about quarter for TV, half for optical discs. Each is my preference regardless of 'best settings'.

c__w

I find most calibrated tvs look soft/blurry as the sharpness is set too low (IMO), can make blurays look like DVDs to me!

LGs tend to need higher sharpness setting relative to some others to achieve the same level.

007L2Kill

So in finding my latest TV (Panasonic 65" CX700b) I've done a lot of TV research. I'm so surprised that in every calibration settings for most of the TV's i looked at Sharpness was either set at 0 or about 25%. From having extensively played with the settings on my TV my sharpness setting for PS4, TV & Blu-Rays is always 100(highest possible).

I find that lower than that, especially in video games you loose details in textures and things that you should be seeing as details in the PQ are blurred out. I mean what on earth is the point of 4k content (i used youtube) if the sharpness is at 0 and no extra detail can be perceived passed that of 1080P?

Is there something 'm missing here? Seems almost like a universal standard to buy an expensive TV, turn off sharpness and loose detail in the picture.
I have the same model as you cx700 and sharpness on this TV set to 50 is default, anything under 50 decreases sharpness and above increases.

Funny you say that, I noticed on this screen that setting to 100 as zero ringing unlike the Samsung I had and I could live with it set to 100, but after a lot of testing I settled with 60 for BD and 55 for my PS4.

John NG

I have recently done a poll as to what people actually choose to have their sharpness settings at, just out of interest. I have a Samsung UE55JS9000T, and set at Zero, it seems a bit soft focus, and loses detail, and this is a half decent 4K TV. I used to set it to 100 before following "best picture" instructions,and watching the video about 'artifacs' when set too sharp. I also put some calibration settings on my TV, I know they won't be as accurate as having a professional out, but the settings I copied definitely improved the picture, I'm just a bit stuck on the zero sharpness. One of the big things about owning a 4K TV was proudly showing your friends how you can "actually see the actors hair follicles". Well I've turned mine down, but can't get on with the Zero setting, it make the picture look like I forgot to put my glasses on, I only have a very light prescription. They are more for correcting a very slight squint with a prism in the prescription. I would really appreciate it if anyone takes the time to take part in my poll, maybe adding what TV you use. Thanks in advanced to anyone who does join in.
Does everyone really set their "Sharpness Setting" at Zero, on their 4K TV's?

Last edited:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
link to poll?

Ossie77

If you have a 1080p TV displaying a 1080p blu ray then every single pixel on the TV is displaying every pixel within the input signal so why would you need it any 'sharper'?

However, I have found that some LCD lack enough contrast to give a nice 'contrasty' image so have found myself boosting sharpness to around 6-7 for 1080i signal. A good plasma has enough contrast to be set at '0' for HD material and give a pin sharp image. And professionally calibrated white balance and gamma settings whether LCD or plasma will also improve contrast and therefore perceived 'sharpness'. SD stuff I would normally set it at '20'.

This is an acquired taste like appreciating fine wine so if you are new to it can be a bit nonsensical.The trick is to keep an open mind and try the recommended settings for a few hours before deciding on whether or not they work.

John NG

If you have a 1080p TV displaying a 1080p blu ray then every single pixel on the TV is displaying every pixel within the input signal so why would you need it any 'sharper'?

However, I have found that some LCD lack enough contrast to give a nice 'contrasty' image so have found myself boosting sharpness to around 6-7 for 1080i signal. A good plasma has enough contrast to be set at '0' for HD material and give a pin sharp image. And professionally calibrated white balance and gamma settings whether LCD or plasma will also improve contrast and therefore perceived 'sharpness'. SD stuff I would normally set it at '20'.

This is an acquired taste like appreciating fine wine so if you are new to it can be a bit nonsensical.The trick is to keep an open mind and try the recommended settings for a few hours before deciding on whether or not they work.
"New to this". I have been into high quality AV hardware for about 27 years. Owned loads of stuff, like Domino Sim 2 , 1080p Projector, early plasmas all the way through to the two Samsung UE55JS9000's I own now. My question was more about how some TV's measure their sharpness settings differently, well that is what I've picked up after talking to people on here. I have always used "Spears Blu Ray Calibration discs", and filters to set my TV's and Projectors as accurately as possible myself. So I know all about how having your sharpness set too high can produce artifacts and anomalies. I am just aware that some TV's sharpness set at 50, is the same as a Samsung TV set at 0. I will be honest, I've learnt a bit more since joining this forum, and I do now understand on my new TV's especially if viewing a Genuine 1080p or 4K source, zero is the best setting. I do have my sharpness and all settings different for normal standard definition TV viewing, which I actually don't watch much of now. As I tend to watch most TV or Movies on demand. Oh and obviously I have different setting for night time and day also.

Last edited:

Ossie77

"New to this". I have been into high quality AV hardware for about 27 years. Owned loads of stuff, like Domino Sim 2 , 1080p Projector, early plasmas all the way through to the two Samsung UE55JS9000's I own now. My question was more about how some TV's measure their sharpness settings differently, well that is what I've picked up after talking to people on here. I have always used "Spears Blu Ray Calibration discs", and filters to set my TV's and Projectors as accurately as possible myself. So I know all about how having your sharpness set too high can produce artifacts and anomalies. I am just aware that some TV's sharpness set at 50, is the same as a Samsung TV set at 0. I will be honest, I've learnt a bit more since joining this forum, and I do now understand on my new TV's especially if viewing a Genuine 1080p or 4K source, zero is the best setting. I do have my sharpness and all settings different for normal standard definition TV viewing, which I actually don't watch much of now. As I tend to watch most TV or Movies on demand. Oh and obviously I have different setting for night time and day also.[/QUOTE

Sorry JohnNG. My post was composed with redorblue89's original question in mind.

John NG

No worries mate. I was an admin in a Face'ache' group with over 15,000 members too, Ares Wizard group, you might have heard of this? I quit as I found myself being the only admin online far too often, and helping people till 3.30 am for months , also got a bit tiring. I didn't mean to come across arsey by the way, and I apologize if I did, as invariably text based messages can come across all wrong, no context. so, sorry if I came across that way. We are all good mate.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom