1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does Currys/Dixons think the PD30 is discontinued ?!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by db298, Jun 8, 2004.

1. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gah, I'm stuck in the most unpleasant situation. After my original Panny 32" bought the farm, I received DSG Group Vouchers for a replacement. I'd set my heart on the Panny TX32PD30 because it's nice and small, has progressive scan, and I like the Acuity resolution. Of course, DSG are charging a sky-high price, but I've found a £1,199 price nearby which I should be able to match, although that's still expensive given the current internet prices doing the rounds.

My problem is this : having gone into the Currys and Dixons branches, they list the PD30 as discontinued (despite still being on display) !! :suicide: I can't square this with Panasonic, who have told me they are currently delivering more of these than ever ! DSG refuse to order one because "the computer shows it's discontinued".

So, anyone from DSG care to let me know how I can get around this, or can someone suggest another TV which would be as good ? It's either that, or I'm going to have to Ebay the vouchers and take a loss there to get cash to spend elsewhere...

(As an aside which might entertain people, the Currys salesman offered me their display model at the bargain price of £1,499, and to 'tempt' me offered me 5 servicecare years for the price of 3 years - another £290-odd on top - what an unmissable bargain :rolleyes: !!!!)

2. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shipping more units than ever? That explains why so many of them are crap if the factory is working 'flat out' to knock them out.
    By the way, I had a crap one and I really wouldn't/couldn't recommend one to anyone.
    I considered the Toshiba 32ZP38B but found on these forums that these too have their annoying niggles despite top reviews in magazines (like the PD30).
    I am now waiting for the grand release of the JVC HV-32D40 as it is shaping up to be quite an impressive set for the money!
    As for the five year extended warranty with Dixons..... I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! I used to work for Mastercare (DSG's reapir/service arm) and they are crapper than crap. No way would I trust them cowboys with my £1000 + set!!!!!!

3. db298

db298

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why does the JVC HV-32D40 sound so good then ?

4. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I wish it was discontinued, then maybe they would bring out a set with all the problems fixed :rotfl:

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Perhaps it is being replaced by the PX30 - have a look here:
    http://www.panasonic.be/servlet/PB/menu/1047862_l3/
    I cannot find any mention of it on any UK sites though.

Just because Currys are discontinuing a model does not mean that the manufacturers are. It is possible that Currys discontinue a model several months before a manufacturer so that they can clear out the old stock before a new model comes in. Alternatively they may discontinue models due to reliability problems (my first PD30 was awful but my second is excellent) or if a model doesn't sell well.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    When I tried to buy a 36PD30 back in March, Currys told me it was discontinued.

Apparently they can tell by the price.

Usually sets cost £*99 or £**99 (where *= 0-9).

However discontinued sets are £*98 or £**98, if you see what I mean.

7. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Gary is right on the money. It is still current but DSG have discontinued it. This could be for a number of reasons. Reliability issues or posibly because they're not selling well. Lets face it they're a good £400-£500 over priced!
    Maybe you could get something else with the vouchers and flog it. Then buy it elsewhere for cheaper.

99p= current

98p= end of line - not buying in anymore stock and about to be discontinued. Normally will start discounting roughly 10%.

97p= discontinued - normally reduced on the computer + further discounts, at this stage they're supposedly negative margin so are keen to get them shifted.

:offtopic: . You will find some good discounts from the high street stores that are closing down. A friend just got a Pioneer 433hde for £1500, which had been on display just over 2 months. Just an idea.

Unfortunately I used to work for dixons. :blush: :mad: .

8. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Thanks for confirming those price meanings, Tim.

As Michael Caine would say:

"Not a lot of people know that!"

9. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember when I used to work for Mastercare (DSG's repair and service arm). I was in a store one morning making a delivery and all the staff were having a training session before the store opened. The manager was pointing to his elbow and saying "Elbow!". He'd then point to his bottom and say "Arse!". The staff just looked at each other all confused. Poor blighters!