Why does Component video never look as good as VGA?

HDMI v1.3 is a huge improvement but LCD users won't be able to experience the increased colors.

DanDT said:
Let's also not forget that through VGA you get 1:1 pixel mapping, whereas "video" signal have to go through not only video processing, but also scaling.

I don't see how you get 1:1 pixel mapping via VGA, as it's analogue.

I certainly get 1:1 pixel mapping through analogue VGA - unless I've been misled as to what "1:1" means?

Lyris said:
I certainly get 1:1 pixel mapping through analogue VGA - unless I've been misled as to what "1:1" means?

The previous poster is just a bit confused. VGA can and does give you 1:1 pixel mapping, always did and always will, since the days of VGA LCD computer monitors.

Could just be a mistake, but the reason I asked is because Hamster knows quite a bit about what makes TVs tick on the inside.

Sorry, I think there's adifference between what we meant by 1:1...as VGA is analog, there is no specific addressing per pixel - which is the point I was trying to make.

However, if you mean a signal with no overscan, then yes, a graphics card can give you a signal without an overscan factored in.

Yeah, I figured we'd be talking about a different thing.

What I'm talking about is that there doesn't appear to be any additional scaling going on. Looking up close at the screen, one pixel on the PC input is literally one pixel on the panel.

Glad you managed it - the only thing standard about VGA is the connector, as the number of "PC input doesn't work" threads shows. Usually it's the phase error, but not always.

We are respinning a new version of a TV chip to fix all this crud. Another $10million...pop goes the weasel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom