1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does a tv from holland not work here(uk)??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kungfuman888, Nov 30, 2003.

1. kungfuman888

kungfuman888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend just moved over here from holland and she brought 2 tvs along with her. The problem is once the channels have been tuned in(analogue) theres no sound. this is a problem that occurs on both tvs. Thinking this could be a tuner problem, i suggested for her to get a freeview box, but she said its the same when she tries to watch video on it, so a freeview box might not actually solve the problem. She has no dvd player btw.
    Anyway, im wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be and any way to solve it.
    Thanks for any replies!

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    The sound subcarrier for our analogue TV is on a different frequency than in Holland (and the rest of continental Europe).
    We use 6.0 MHz (PAL I ) and I believe the continentental standard is 5.50 MHZ (PAL B/G).

The Freeview box will work if you connect it to the TV via the SCART connector.
    If you used the Freeview box connected via the coaxial antenna lead , you will again be using the PAL I (6.0 MHz) sound subcarrier - which your Dutch TVs' tuners cannot receive.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. kungfuman888

kungfuman888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the reply.
    think tonight i'll take my freeview box over and try it out. now comes problem 2: will her aerial be good enough........

thanks anyway!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    She needs a "half meg shifter" added to the tuner. If it is a good set it is worth while. Have seen a few sets from Holland and Sweden go through our workshops and get upgraded! (mainly B&O though)
    Video would need to connect via scart (or AV input). If its a newish set you may have a software setup menu that allows you to pick the PAL standard. Possibly in service menu. What TV's are they and do they have scart or any other AV input????

5. kungfuman888

kungfuman888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the replies.
    she got a sagem freeview box for £60 from big w and it works really well now via scart. infact she's really happy cos the picture quality is really good since its through rgb now.
    again, thanks for the help!