1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do You Like Sony??????!!!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jason5_k, Aug 17, 2005.

1. jason5_k

jason5_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I'v got a NW-HD3 and it aint great, in fact, its rubbish. Its small, its light, its cheap (though discontinued I think, £141 from ebay new and sealed) and its got that g-sensor thingy BUT the software is ******g RUBBISH, its slow, it stutters, it crashes. select anything over 3 albums at a time and try to do something with them it grinds to an infuriating halt. I can live with slow and stuttering, (bit like me really) but i absoloutly hate the format. I'v ripped all my albums to 192kb/s wma as its better than mp3 (according to google) but sonicstage wants to convert it to atrac, thats fine, if i could choose decent bit rates, 256kb/s is the max (to0 big!) 132kb/s is the second highest (too small!) So, why do you like it so much, if i wasnt so skint i'd spent £30 more an got a slighly larger player with DECENT software.

P.S MY PC is pretty good performance, XP pro and has recently been given a clean bill of health from a reputable pc guy.

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Apparently the latest version SS v3.2 allows for ATRAC3plus 192Kbps which might suit your requirements better.

SS v3.2 is not officially avaiable in Europe yet although others on here are using the Asia / Pac / US versions so can give you a few tips I'm sure.

3. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi mate,

I've got an HD5, and I don't think are players are that different. I do agree that SonicStage is pretty terrible. I tend to avoid using its built in playlist features because I can't be bothered.

As for audio, I mostly use MP3, becasue it works on everything, and sounds pretty good (to my ears anyway, I'm aware not everyone agrees!) Then I generate playlists in Winamp, and import them to SS.

Once you have a set of playlists in SS, it works well and is easy to move songs to the player.

Honestly, I think you can love your player, just don't let SS put you off. I know its the worst bit, but the player is rock solid.

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again: how come, for some of us, SonicStage is a breeze, for others, the software equivalent of a hellish nightmare? My PC - about 3.5 years old now - has a reasonable spec considering I got it in a desperate hurry from PC World online (never again, incidentally!): 2.3 ghz processer, 256 RAM, Radeon ... never can remember which number graphics card, but okay anyhow. Sound card is so-so, but I only listen on the PC very rarely. Yet, SS and me get on swell! It's slow when launching and closing - and when group editing/removing fields from about 500 tracks at a time (to be expected) - but swift as you like doing pretty much everything else.

So why all this disparity? Anyone ..?

5. Bacon_N_Cheese

Bacon_N_Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No clue either. I'm only 12 and yet, SS runs very easy for me. It only took me 5 min to get used to it. Now I know it isn't the best software to use, but it isn't bad either.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Biggest fault with SS? Where it hides stuff in your PC's directory. Once you track down the right folders, fiddle with the settings, everything's fine - for me at least ...

7. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think SS is terrible at all... well not in my experience with SS 3.1. Pretty fast ripping/transferring to my HD5 and no crashes that I can remember in transferring multiple albums. It is not difficult to use either unless you are computer illiterate.

Atrac 132 will probably sound as good as 192 mp3s, 132 atrac does not equal 132 mp3 quality. "Wma sounds better according to google?" sorry but maybe a 128kbps wma file sounds better than a 128kbps mp3 but on top of that wma requires extra processing which shortens battery life a little.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Eat my words!!! SS just froze on me! First time, honest!

Proves I'm not entirely biased, I suppose ...

9. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have already had my share of issues with SonicStage and can understand all the complaints. But I think 3.2 works in fact pretty well. To me, most of its problems derived from the restrictions it imposed on every file. Now it seems more stable.

But I like Sony not because of SonicStage, of course. I like it because it has always been a company that strives to produce the most compact gadget, because it had the decency of creating a digital format for music that doesn't add unwanted gaps and because it does all of that with style. Hardware-wise, I think Sony is still on top.

10. Petemare

Petemare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a VAIO Pocket Player and upgraded to an ND5H. Sony's sound quality is superior and to me that's the bottom line. No problems with crashing on eiither of these.

11. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I like SS too, no idea why some people despise it so much! It's actually pretty good once you're used to it :smashin:

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What version of software does the HD3 come with? Its probably the old one with lots of problems?
    Download SonicStage 3.2, just search for it and an installer will download the rest and install it. SS3.2 is much more stable, and faster too. Get the USA one, or just not the european one, since its not officially out there yet and it doesnt support the 192kbps atrac format on the player, From memory it doesnt allow it to transfer. So get the USA version as long as you dont use COnnect service and you will be able to rip your albums in atrac3+ 192 (superior format) and transfer it to the player. It also takes DRM off the ripped music if you choose to, so you can backup your music normally.
    That really solves your problems, especially the bitrate one.

http://musicstore.connect.com/mb_us/mb_us/IESignup.flow click download 3.2

13. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My HD3 came with SS2.3.
    As there are no firmware updates for the HD3 (so far), if you upgrade to SS3.2 make sure that the sampling rate you encode with is supported by the HD3.

SS is resource hungry, if you are running other applications at the same time might explain the apparent slowness of the software.

I'm running SS3.1 on a win2000 machine that is fairly old now and don't have too much of a problem.

14. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ss does suck but its helped a LOT by havin g a good pc, mines reasonable

p4 3ghz
    1gb ddr ram

and it runs pretty much fine on it, only crashes if i try and transfer 5000+ tracks at the same time, i dont do that too foten so its not too bad.

15. holymonk

holymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate the NW-HD3 just as much as you do. And i can sell it either since no one wants to buy one ...!!!! Im gonna buy a smaller flash mp3 soon though, thats more practical really.

16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    My Sony MD players are great. Excellent build quality, reliable and absolutely stuffed with features. :)

17. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My feelings towards Sony have been love-hate-love.

I finally decided a couple of months ago (after much contemplation!) to join the DAP world. I have a large CD collection (begun when CDs just became mainstream in the very early 80's) and realized I just haven't been listening to music very much, between full-time work and part-time school, etc.

So, what to get? Of course all my friends had DAPs (well, many of them did) so I had lots of direct second-hand opinions to consider. Key factors for me were size, capacity, and battery life. I wanted to carry lots of tunes with me and not worry about my DAP dying on me.

The Creative Nomads were a bit bulky, iPods had battery issues, both sounded OK to me. Then a coworker showed me his HD5 (which looked like it had gone through a train wreck!). It was small, sleek, had great battery life, and really sounded fine. Then I realized his songs were ripped at 64 kbps. That multiplied its effective capacity by a factor of 2-3 right there over other players. And I listen mostly to albums (not songs or "tracks") so the user interface isn't as critical for me.

Then, when checking into it further, I found out the Sony played songs gaplessly. Sweet! A lot of my CDs are live. (More on this in an upcoming unrelated thread.) And my gf likes classical music. (To me, classical music is Led Zep and Aerosmith...) So gapless and high compression rates were huge pluses. I knew that the Atrac format limits me to Sony players. An acceptable tradeoff IMO. I don't want to download stuff, or trade songs; I just want my music collection with me so I can listen to it.

So, I chose Sony and was happy with my nicel slick HD5. I also picked up an NW-E107 flash player for the gf, as it's 1Gb would hold a lot of songs at 64 kbps. Plus the replaceable AAA battery and long battery life would eliminate recharging hassles for her.

Then I encountered SS and the hate phase began. $^) Ripping songs was no problem. I ran into a few glitches with compilation albums and multidisc sets, but after reading hints here and some experimentation, I can now put those together with no hassle. (I wish SS were more 'album'-oriented, as even the compilation checkbox on the album info doesn't prevent the listings of individual songs by artist.) Ripping my CDs worked with little hassle, after learning a few SS nuances.

Then the problems started. It took about 2 weeks for me to get SS to 'see' my HD5, even though my pc recognized it. Noyt sure why to this day. I uninstalled, reinstalled, installed an earlier version and upgraded, wiped it out completely (including deleting SS info with regedit), reinstalled, tried a dl'd new device driver, etc. Not sure what finally worked, but SS eventually would recognize my HD5. I also gave up completely on trying to rip my CDs directly to my external USB hard drive. Just won't work, freezes up SS. And SS won't even back up to the external drive. *sigh* Oh well.

Now, the love has returned. I have about 2/3 of my CD collection on my HD5 with about 5Gb of open space (still ripping!). Lots of music, all the time! I also really like the Sony vertical in-ear phones, the MDR-A34L and A44L. Great smooth sound, good highs and lows and mids. They are very efficient and play LOUD too. Heck, I even picked up a second NW-E107 for myself (great price, $80 on eBay) for when I want to carry something even smaller (such as at sporting events or on the beach, when I want to keep my HD5 safe).

So, I'm very happy with the Sony players. Music sounds great to me, never worry about battery life, very portable, and I have lots of music on tap on the go.

Oh yeah. I also have no desire for color menus, photo displays, or movies. (I have a very small Panny DVD-LS5 player, about the size of a square CD player, for movies. It works great on the go, has a beautiful screen, and gives me 8+ hours with the 2 small batteries I have for it. I also don't want to have to convert DVDs that I have to view them on the go.) Battery life and more music is all I want from my DAP.

So yeah, I'm in a happy phase with Sony these days. $^)

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fabulous summary, drmoze. I share many of your sentiments.

19. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Nothing to do with PC Specs.. I'm got an athlon 64 3200 processor 512 ram.. bla bla bla.. very decent specs.. All of a sudden i opened sonic stage and it says "Invalid Argument Encountered".. haven't used sonicstage for a month now.. I was MORE than happy with it before this..

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    My PSP

21. odiwan

odiwan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I hate sony?, I don´t brought sony, at same price panasonic and pioneer beats it, in hi range denon, marantz and others are light years from sony, sony only make pretty boxes

and sony pictures makes the worse films this year

22. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Never had an issue with SS and love my HD3. Why? well it stores ton's of music at high quality (300+ albums and counting at 64k Atrac3+), it's lightweight, has good battery life, cosmetically appealing IMO, basically it does EVERYTHING it said on the box when I chose it.

OK it doesn't have a colour screen or over sensitive wheel thing on the front, I can't buy hundreds of overpriced tacky accessories for it and is lacking some features other players have nowadays but I knew this when I bought it!

I wanted a light good quality DAP and that's what I have!

Shadow, I feel one of your Poll's coming on:

Maybe

"Do you hate your HD3/HD5 cos you bought the wrong player for your needs"

OR

"Like SS or Hate SS"

Be nice to nail down once and for all the balance of opinion

23. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've given up on Sony's products over the last few years. I started out with Minidisc and I was really happy with them back when all you could do was record straight from source.
    Then I bought a NetMD player with all its sparkly software and things just went wrong.

I've had nothing but problems with Sony software since then. I didn't like their 'Check-in/Check-out' procedure. It's my own rip, I'll use it how I like, thanks very much. Sony's DRM-type rules and procedures just do my head in, and their software was buggy and crashed on me two or three times every time I used it.
    From the reviews I've read of their DAP version of SonicStage, it's just as bad.

Add to that the HydrogenAudio test results of the ATRAC codec and Sony's general belief that they can charge more than everyone else because they're Sony, they won't be seeing my business for a long time until they sort their act out.

Their original minidisc players were second to none, though, even if it did use ATRAC compression.

24. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ... I certainly agree with your sentiment about some people buying the wrong player for their needs. This is probably the result of them not auditioning players first - which is kinda strange, when you think that you can buy a DAP from somewhere like Amazon, test it out, and return it under their no quibble returns policy if it doesn't suit your needs (please, don't bother pointing out that these aren't actually Amazon's terms; I'm just stating what most people do in practice :) ).

However, I don't think yet another poll - or indeed, another thread - on the HDx series or SS is really necessary. Interesting as it would be for us Sonyphiles, I'm sure it must get a bit tedious for other DAP fans. In fact, the constant bickering between we Sony lovers and our iPod counterparts is, I'm sure, becoming irritating, to say the very least, for other forum users. Couple this with the discussion going on in General Chat (not the one in here, but out in the wider AV Forums), about how polls are becoming annoying, and I think it might be wisest to give polls a bit of a rest for a while ;)

Hope you don't think I'm diss-ing your idea, incidentally - I'm not, honest :)

25. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    No offence taken mate.

My suggestion was actually laden with subtle sarcasam (obviously to subtle!) ;)

26. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I see ... :blush:

27. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dunno about this hydrogenaudio thing. I just used my ears. $^)

Seriously, were you swayed by a bunch of graphical data?

28. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I like Sony because everything I've bought from them (with the exception of their games consoles which I dislike) has been of a very high standard and behaved exactly the way I'd expect it to.

29. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you dont own a HD5 then?

30. Poodle

Poodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a NW-HD5(H) and it and the software's worked and still works perfectly for the last 3 months. Also Hi-MD units (NH900, RH910) and no problems with them either. I'm sorry for other people's Sony woes, but my experience has been a good one (so far)... :rolleyes: