Why do we have so much bass in the home compared to even the best cinemas?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stewart C, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very decent system and have my speakers and amplifier set up to reference levels as prescribed by Dolby labratories, DTS and THX using appropraite SPL metre's and laser placement tools.

My system sounds fantastic and my bass response rumbles exactly when it should. Why, then, does my local multiplex and any other cinema I have been to, have very little bass to show for itself (My local is brand new and full of the best kit money can buy).

My set up does not have too much bass it is set up exactly the way it should be and my room shakes rattles and rolls quite remarkably. Why does the Cinema fail to do this?

Regards

2. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A Number of reasons.

1 chances are the sound is not set-up correctly in the cinema. Ut might be new and have the best gear money can buy, but if its not set up right it will not sound any good.

2. People might have complained about the noise and they just turned the bass down or off.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,474
    I know where your coming from Stewart, the last film I saw at the fliks was "A Knights Tale", couldn't even make out the dialogue let alone anything else! I simply believe the people in charge haven't got a clue! Its purely a business to them, where as we spend small fortunes to achieve a sound that we will never ever hear in the cinema, purely because we have a little bit more knowledge and a hell of a lot more passion and love for the whole movie watching experience!

Si

4. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,265
    I suspect they are concerned about the bass leaking into theatre next door!

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They also have to fill a much larger room, that could be expensive...

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I'm a regular visitor to the UGC cinema in Sheffield (nest to the arena), the sound there is fantastic, especially in the main screen which is apparently THX certified.

But a couple of times when watching a quieter film we have been able to hear whats happening next door. This has happened a few times recently, the most noticable being when we went to see Shrek, with Jurassic Park 3 playing next door!

If you live nearby its definately one to check out, much better than the warner effort down the road, and the seats are even comfortable, wouldn't say no to a set for home actually.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Miniholic: Ditto in Gerrads Cross Odeon. The bass cam through the air con!