why do we do put the hour back and forth in the UK?

Mr Cat

Banned
i think it stems from world war 2 - it was either the farms, or to do with industry, but i'm not totally sure...would like to know the exact reason myself...

Mike-M

I believe it was done during WW2 in order to give the farmers more daylight to work the fields.
I can also remember one year late 60's early 70's sometime going to school in the dark (about 8:30) because they tried something else that year which wasn't successful

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
There was a five-year trial when we stayed on "summer" time all year round.

But unfortunately seventy-one (*) vociferous Scottish farmers successfully lobbied for us to revert to this pointless practice.

The whole argument about "more daylight" is completely banal. There are exactly the same number of minutes of daylight on any given day, regardless of where the hands on the clock are pointing. If seventy-one (*) Scottish farmers have difficulty, what stops them from starting work at 0600 instead of 0500 (or whatever)?

(*) or an equally small/insignificant number.

S

shadowritten

Prefer GMT myself - always feels like 'proper' time, somehow, as opposed to the 'artificial' BST ...

Mep

the Scots point is that in parts of Scotland it wouldn't get light in the morning until 9:45 and this would be dangerous for kiddies travelling to school..........but surely its then dark in the evening anyway when they are travelling home?

Mr Cat

Banned
well, I didn't exactly get an extra hours kip this morning - phone rang early (on call from work) and I had to come in...sigh...

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
LV426 said:
If seventy-one (*) Scottish farmers have difficulty, what stops them from starting work at 0600 instead of 0500 (or whatever)?
I don't think the farm animals know how to change their clocks. ;)

Steven

Senior Moderator
I think we should have one system for the majority, and the existing system for those that live in North, north Scotland. How [censored] that live 300 miles from me can affect how I live.....[expletive]

Miyazaki

Why don't we just stay on GMT and let the jocks go an hour ahead in the summer?

KoThreads

Games Guru said:
Exactly, it would be no diffrent to someone going abroard for us then, and they would be happy as well.

My brother went to Egypt 3 or 4 weeks ago and the clocks went back while he was there, so he has gone through it twice in just over a month.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
if it is a small minority of farmers in scotland who wanted the time change, surely it makes sense for them to adjust than make the whole UK go back and forth? so egypt also puts thier clocks back and forth? whats thier reasons?

Steven

Senior Moderator
The farmers couldn't be had being the only ones who change their clocks...no they want the rest of us to do it as well so they feel OK about the whole stupid thing

Read the wiki article...strange Mexico have adopted it, due to economic ties with US...even though it has a tropical climate

Lets have a referendum on it.....President Blair?

Alan_W

The North Scottish farmers are about 40 years behind anyway so what difference will one more hour be? :rolleyes:

pragmatic

I heard it was due to the WW2 and factories and farms ect needing the light, plus working at day light is safer than having lights on at night during the blitz. Why they couldn't just black out the windows is beond me though.

I beleive we have out licencing laws/hours for the same reason and the government used to (maybe still do) control how much beer was watered down so people didn't get to drunk

D

Dr Diversity

All this talk about daylight saving time has got me thinking...what has happened to all of the daylight saved? Is there a massive Raiders of the Lost Ark style warehouse with anonymous crates full of daylight? Is it being saved for when the world's natural energy runs out and we haven't got around to implementing renewable energy? Is it being released in Downing Street to top up Tony's tan or perhaps we should be looking to David Dickinson and Judith Chalmers for the answer...

MartinImber

I'd rather stay BST but just move work times and TV times

MartinImber

HUGE ERROR

I mean stay GMT :clap:

F

FoxyMulder

Talk about racists attitudes, apparently we're all "jocks" up here and other things, selfish attitudes exist on these boards and i don't appreciate the slang "jock"

pragmatic

I'm sure 'jock' was only made in jest, and selfish refers to those that wanted BST over GMT as it effects everyone in the british isles.

F

FoxyMulder

I don't care if made in jest or not its racist and since we are ALL part of the UK then maybe you can have a debate without throwing insults at 5 million people, for the record i prefer the clocks the way they are now and would rather we didnt keep moving them about all the time.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Games Guru said:
What's this *we* and *them jocks* attitude about? This forum belongs just as much to people from Scotland as it does to you whereever you are from.
I think you should apologise to Scottish people for your insulting attitude :lesson: :nono:

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme