Why do we all do it!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by wingnut1, Dec 20, 2006.

1. wingnut1

wingnut1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been addicted to AV and technology for years now and have invested thousands of pounds in previous systems and especially my current system but recently i have started to get dispondent with AV due to numerous problems and generally being unlucky. I have always been under the impression that you pay for what you get and i have always met or exceeded my budget when buying components but this is obviously not the case, this is just an outline of the many problems i have had:

AMP: replaced due to HDMI failing and analogue/digital not switching correctly
    DVD: being replaced in the new year due to analogue output and firewire not working
    SKY HD: failed recordings, constant resets due to lockups,replaced twice
    MEDIA PC: complete re-install of operating system due to failure of wired and wireless connection to other components
    ROKU: failure to connect to pc, now sorted after pc re-install
    XBOX360: failure to connect to pc, now sorted after pc re-install
    ROUTER: replaced due to failure
    PRONTO REMOTE: being replaced in the new year due to software lockups
    VAN DEN HUL HDMI: two sets of cables replaced due to faulty connections
    SONY LAPTOP: complete system failure ending in the loss of all data including backup hard disc, replaced with a nice new purpose built pc (very fast!) and large widescreen monitor of which crashes only to find the possibility of someone hacking it as 2k nicked from credit card.

This is just a general overview of one years problems and to be honest with you the small windows when everything is working correctly the system is fantastic but as i said in the title "Why do we all do it" :suicide:

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Sounds unlucky. How can you have that many PC failures ?

Mine fail occasionally, takes about hour and a half to get it almost back to where it was - although it would be more complicated with AV installs.

3. wingnut1

wingnut1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The laptop was a seperate incident as it's at my office but to be honest even the IT Support guy said he's never come across so many problems with the pc's at work and at home. The one good thing that comes out of this is your knowledge base increases!

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i'd definitely say you have been unlucky.....

as far as AV equipment goes i cant recall having had any problems except my Sky+ boxes HDD knackering, got it replaced within a few days no probs.....everything else no problems......

computer wise, well, first PC got struck by lightening :D however once the insurance company had agreed to replace it they also agreed to send back just the hard disk itself, amazingly it was the one component that wasnt fried and i retrieved everything...lol......second PC i fried myself having overloaded the PSU too much....again luckily the hard disk was fine, just everything else knackered.....third PC is going strong in mums back room now, 4th PC (erm, 2 years old? i think) still going strong....

sometimes i think people dont read manauls properly when setting up etc and end up encountering problems which they try to find shortcut resolutions to etc and end up with a worse problem....but i reckon you really did just get unlucky....

still, fingers crossed its all plain sailing from here :)

5. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If I knew of a different way to listen to all my cds at a press of button, and leave the pc, router and hdd's out of the equation OH I think I would:smashin:

The hours and hours of frustration spent getting the thing to work correctly, I think some of us just give off electromagnetic waves that bugger up pc's and I seem to be one of them :rolleyes:

Oh the reciever is on the blink now all the sources play through the radio at once so I have to turn eveything off when listening to the radio, its already been fixed once in its 2 years of life.

See nice simple things just keep working, anything electronically brained I seem to have an effect on:confused: ie it dies sooner or later :rolleyes:

Why do I keep buying them:confused: