Why do TV's still have analogue tuners?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I have recently bought a 4k Super HDR TV etc.
I am amazed however to find this TV still has an analogue tuner??!!
Looking at several other current models from various manufacturers I find the same applies.
Again most TV's are manufactured specifically for the European market if not as most actually made in Europe.
AFAICS no European country still uses analogue TV?
So why are manufacturers till including this facility. Appreciate that manufacturing additional cost is
minimal ex factory but having been in marketing of electronic apparatus I know that whatever the cost we are looking at least about £20 -£25 inc VAT at at retail level.
So why is it still there?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'd be surprised if the tuner component or the board it sits on was specifically manufactured for the European market, even if the TV as a whole is.

Analogue tuners can still be used for extenders, home distribution systems, older video outputs (VCRs, CCTV etc.) and so on

stblob

All TV's need a tuner. It still has to tune in to the wavelength. Once the signal is locked, a chip then decides what's in that signal. Analogue source or a digital one and decodes it as required. The cost today would be pennies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom