Why do they bother?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by overkill, Mar 19, 2006.

1. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Years ago a mate of mine that used to go to footie with us said this; "why do teams like Notts county bother going to Anfield"? "They have no intention of making a game of it, so why not just give them (Liverpool) the three points, four goals, and stop wasting their time, their fans time and Liverpools energy (he was a big fan of Liverpools 70's & 80's sides)"? This isn't an attack on Liverpool or Man Utd whom this, as Britains two biggest clubs this primairly applies to, or to Arsenal, Spurs, and in recent years increasingly, Chelsea, who it also happens to, either. It's a criticism of managers and teams who have no guts for a fight when it counts!

In a time when football entrance fees are at an all time high, when travelling to games costs a bomb, and when the football is often bad enough anyway, it's time penalties were handed out to teams like Newcastle, Charlton, Villa, etc who lay down and die, against the above, before a ball is even kicked.

Although (in recent years) I've seen teams do this too often at Highbury, it annoy's me no less than it did back then.:mad:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,242
    Teams like Charlton just seem to do enough in the first half of the season to make sure they survive the Premiership and then don't bother after that, trying to no lose against teams rather than going for the win.
    For me it makes for a dull league :(

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Going on the forthcoming legal battle (which even the beeb flagged up as pivotal) between FIFA and the clubs over payments for injuries, football as we know it may be over. :( If FIFA lose (what is it with Belgians trying to destroy football?) to Charlorei, then we could see FA's fielding effective 'B' teams of players who's clubs are willing to waive insurance cover, or clubs just refusing to release players if the FA's can't or won't agree to cover their players.

Once again a classic example of greedy short termism over long term thought. If the major players end up not competing at the highest level, then their competitive edge will slowly and surely diminish. How can that benefit the clubs?

And no (before anyone says it), the Champions leauge sides are not 'all internationals anyway'. No 'effective' club side can field that many egos. Not even the Italians. Just look at Madrid, or Chelsea's crap recent form.............