Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Why do the new Ford Sony units sound so awful?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by captainpacific, Oct 29, 2005.

1. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,
    Having just had an extensive demo of the new Ford Sony "top of the range" unit (in a Focus), I was very disappointed. The music was wrapped in a thick blanket of cotton wool, there was little attack, upper mid-range was in your face and harsh, and the whole sound stage lacked any depth whatsoever.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with the Sony unit or more to do with the speakers? I am not going to pay Ford £350 to upgrade to this Sony unit if it's rubbish. :confused:

[Incidentally, all listeners then agreed that the Ford 6006 unit in an older Focus sounded better. Obviously, the human ear does not recognise "brands"]

2. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    £350 will get you a very good aftermarket unit, just buy a fitting faceplate if needed. The true cost of this ford sony one will be around £100 (but you will be paying ford AND sony a profit, fitting, etc) hence £350. if you are interested in keeping the car origonal, try upgrading the speakers for higher end replacements, although when i did my stereo i replaced the rubbish paper ones for £100 coaxials front and rear, and didnt notice a sound improvement until the headunit was replaced. Hope this helps!

3. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for this info. I'm thinking as well that the speakers are likely to be similar to the ones Ford put in the old Focus with the 6006 set, which actually sounds OK. In which case it is likely to be the Sony head unit that is rubbish.

I see myself heading towards the Alpine website in a minute.

4. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Sony has just reported worldwide losses close to a billion (I can't remember, Yen, Dollars, Pounds).

Closed the Bridgend CRT plant. The best in Europe.

How will they satisfy their Shareholders?

Easy. Convince you to buy CRAP.

Interested?

5. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    When we test drove a mondeo with the sony headunit with integrated 6cd i cant say it was that great. Not bad but nothing special.

We've also got a last gen focus with 6006. Its ok again, radio reception is poor but cd quality is fairly decent for stock.

I'd say the speakers are probably the limiting factor, rather than the headunit

6. skeet94

skeet94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony's Car Audio equipment is complete utter *rap...I can easily say that their £350+ Head Units would sound really crap too. I'd rather go aftermarket :).

7. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    But the ford ones do look lurvly and they look like they're part of the car. Stick your aftermarket one in and they dont look like they belong there

8. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    got myself a new focus last month and im more than happy with the cd player :)

9. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone had a problem with the Ford Sony MP3 units playing VBR encoded disc's. I ask because ours (1 month old focus) seems to have random dropouts in the sound when playing them. It plays CBR encoded disc's without any problems.

10. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The poor sound is just as likely to be a result of the crappy paper cone speakers that most manufacturers fit as standard.

You can make a massive difference in sound quality by replacing these speakers with decent after market speakers without changing the head unit.

The likes of Panasonic and Kenwood make speakers specifically designed to fit in the existing speaker spaces for popular makes like Ford for around £50-£70 a pair and can be fitted in about 10 minutes flat.

Certainly no point replacing the head unit without doing the speakers as well!

11. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    been there, done that, the headunit itself made the difference