Why do speaker companies not pay attention to more lifestyle speakers that perform/measure well?

k pad

Hi all,
Been a lurker here, and people out here have really helped me in my journey setting up.
When I started my search for a system with good attributes, I naturally started with floorstanders of impeccable capabilities.
As I slowly understood my room, I scaled down to BS, and as I understood my own aesthetic requirements (which for many would actually be called WAF), I went on-walls.
The on-walls I sampled were either atrocious sounding AND expensive, or sounded good but terribly expensive.
The best I loved sound-wise were the Dali Oberon and the Lyngdorf on-walls... way off budget for me. (India, customs, shipping, etc, etc)

I finally settled for the boxiest, and biggest woofered on-wall I could afford (Monitor Audio Radius 225; more or less at the current British asking price)

While I am happy, the experience did leave me with a question (outside of the shipping/duty cribs)

Why are speaker cos finding it difficult to make decent sounding speakers in smaller boxes?
Is it that difficult?

One of the outlier options I really considered was these:

CCM5-P point source coaxial 5 1/4" shallow wall or ceiling mount

On this page we show you detailed information about our CCM5-P point source coaxial shallow on wall or on ceiling surround Atmos speaker.
www.aia-cinema.com

The cost in India was so outlandish, that I gave up on them.

But, barring a handful of such stuff, it is not like people in other parts of the world are also getting a good spread when it comes to choosing speakers for a small room.

My questions are:
1. Is it really that difficult to make good sound in a small room, economically?
2. Does it not make financial sense to the companies themselves?
3. Wouldn't it make sense for them to go more lifestyle+performance in today's world, where most new buyers have smaller and smaller spaces?

Would love it if there are opinions on this, contrarian or otherwise.

Regards

PS: The sub I chose was REL. So, full islander companies in my room :D

Another thing I have noticed in India... Prices of American companies are close to double by the time they come to an Indian home!

Doctors11

Standard Member
Very interesting subject for me. I too have a small room and am having trouble finding high quality shallow depth speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg. I've been researching this for about 2 years. I haven't listened to any speakers yet but just in reading I'm leaning towards Aperion Audio Novus Slim series. Sometime next year I'll probably order in three different pairs to compare and send two back. You might want to post your question over at avsforum.com and see what input you get there.

Keep us posted.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
R&D is expensive as are quality components.

This is one of the reasons we love M&K as they do have fantastic high performance on wall slimline speaker solutions as well as in wall options. Quality does come at a price.

k pad

Very interesting subject for me. I too have a small room and am having trouble finding high quality shallow depth speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg. I've been researching this for about 2 years. I haven't listened to any speakers yet but just in reading I'm leaning towards Aperion Audio Novus Slim series. Sometime next year I'll probably order in three different pairs to compare and send two back. You might want to post your question over at avsforum.com and see what input you get there.

Keep us posted.

So far, from what I know it all seems to be on R&D like the previous poster said.
In that, the major cost seems to be on how to replicate the sound produced by a bigger box in a smaller box even with a modicum of quality.
This seems to be leading different companies on different paths and techs.

Another indisputable reason I surmise is that a customer who is shopping for an aesthetically pleasing set up will any way pay more. :D

The Aperion specs seem great. And always better to go with a big woofer. But they could end up being power hungry - 4 ohms, 88 dB sensitivity... - especially if your room is going to be bigger than 15 feet long...

Are you in the market for a stereo set up or a home theatre?
If HT, should definitely consider the bigger version of the Ascendos I had mentioned in original post.
A great point source + efficient option for HTs.

Doctors11

Standard Member
So far, from what I know it all seems to be on R&D like the previous poster said.
In that, the major cost seems to be on how to replicate the sound produced by a bigger box in a smaller box even with a modicum of quality.
This seems to be leading different companies on different paths and techs.

Another indisputable reason I surmise is that a customer who is shopping for an aesthetically pleasing set up will any way pay more. :D

The Aperion specs seem great. And always better to go with a big woofer. But they could end up being power hungry - 4 ohms, 88 dB sensitivity... - especially if your room is going to be bigger than 15 feet long...

Are you in the market for a stereo set up or a home theatre?
If HT, should definitely consider the bigger version of the Ascendos I had mentioned in original post.
A great point source + efficient option for HTs.
Thanks k pad. I agree with the reasoning, it's just too bad that the companies feel they can get away with the higher prices. Many people have smaller spaces but still want high quality sound. I'm in the USA so not sure about the Ascendos' availability here. I'd be setting this up in our very small home office (9x6 foot) so they don't need to be large, just able to crossover to a sub at maybe less than 100hz. This would be mainly for multi channel music (SACD, BluRay Audio, DVD-Audio) and incorporated into a desktop set up. The center and surrounds would be wall or shelf mounted, hence the need for a shallow depth.

k pad

Thanks k pad. I agree with the reasoning, it's just too bad that the companies feel they can get away with the higher prices. Many people have smaller spaces but still want high quality sound. I'm in the USA so not sure about the Ascendos' availability here. I'd be setting this up in our very small home office (9x6 foot) so they don't need to be large, just able to crossover to a sub at maybe less than 100hz. This would be mainly for multi channel music (SACD, BluRay Audio, DVD-Audio) and incorporated into a desktop set up. The center and surrounds would be wall or shelf mounted, hence the need for a shallow depth.
The Revel Concerta M8s were clean and neutral during my auditions.
If you can get a set, especially at a good discount, nothing like it.
you'd have to cross to the subs at 120 Hz though, as it goes down only to 110 Hz at -3dB claimed...

password1

Distinguished Member
There is plenty of lifestyle speaker choices of decent quality. There are plenty of decent small speakers. MA do the Apex. Dali do the Fazon and other manufacturers do equivalents.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom