Why do some people switch off their brains when they get behind the wheel of a car?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Courtjezter, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Courtjezter

Courtjezter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    I am on full rant mode here.

I am not sure if i am the only person who gets wound up by peoples inability to think and drive at the same time. Around where i live we have a number of car parks, the majority of which have nice big white arrows on the floor telling people which way to go round it.

I follow these arrows, but the amount of accidents i have nearly had because, and i can only call them this, buffoons cant seem to navigate according to the direction of travel. The other problem i have with this is they then look at me as if i am the one in the wrong.

This came to a head the other day in a Multi-storey car park. The way this one works is you drive straight and then turn right to go up a ramp to get to the next level and you always end up turning right to get to higher levels. The same for the way out and the up and down ramps are shared at certain point of the car park. As long as you stay right all is well.

So i pull into the car park and follow the car in front of me to one level from top, when he turns left. Ok i can forgive that if nothing is coming the other way, but a little bit annoyed. Shopping trip done i come to leave the car park. Go down about two levels and am about to turn onto a shared up/down ramp when a car turns onto the bottom of the ramp and moves over to the left hand side of the ramp. So i put my anchors on and just sit their and glare at him, he is currently halfway up the ramp. I then reverse a touch to give him a bit of space to turn when he gets to the top of the ramp. He doesnt, he stays left. He then starts gesticulating at me as if i am in the wrong. But eventually he comes up the ramp and stops his car and starts gesticulating further.
    I was so close to getting out of the car and pointing out the errors of his thought process, but didnt.

Rant over.

I don't think this issue lies solely in car drivers as i have witnessed similar things in airports and supermarkets. I always navigate my way around areas following the signs. But this seems to overload a lot of peoples thought capacities.

2. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    If you assume the vast majority of the British Public are stupid you wouldn't be far wrong. That way you never end up too disappointed or angry. Its also a good way to avoid a lot of accidents.
    As a biker its the only way to stay alive sometimes as well !

3. shafster

shafster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i admire your patience. i would of just got out the car and pointed to the arrows and then sworn at them or called them a mong or something....... or possibly something worse.

had a situation last year when a woman pulled out from a give way onto me and then had the nerve to start mouthing off. i got out of the car and walked up to her window and said "what the f*** is your problem?!" she went all quiet and apologised before driving off. i guess as i now approaching middle age, i no longer tolerate buffoons

4. metal.mark

metal.mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My Daughter works at the Bluewater shopping centre, and as you can imagine last week was extremely busy at one point they had to close the multi-storey car parks because there had been several head on crashes caused by people travelling up and down the ramps in the wrong direction.

5. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    What was the outcome of this standoff? :)

The design of some car parks can be the biggest cause of situations like this, especially if you are unfamiliar with them.
    Sounds like you came up against a particularly arrogant person there.
    Had i been in their place i would have immediately been wondering if i was the one in the wrong.