1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do some channels display in 4:3 format on widescreen TV??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Hallsy, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have just got a freeview box as a xmas present, it is a Matsui DTR1 (same as Goodmans GDB3) tuned it in and seems quite good for the price, good pciture and EPG, etc.
    Anyway the thing that seems starnge is some channels display full screen in 16:9, but some other channels such as TMF for example have two black lines down the sides as if showing 4:3.
    Why is the image not stretched like analogue signals are on a 16:9 TV, I realise it would cause the "fat head" effect but at least I wouldn't have two ugly black lines down the side of my TV. Zooming in using my TV doesn't help either.
    Is this normal for freeview boxes on widescreen TV's? Not anything silly like connection type by any chance? My LG widescreen has two scarts in, AV1 RGB which my DVD is on and AV2 nornal scart which the freeview is on. I remember once connecting my VCR via AV2 and ervything was displayed in 4:3 and not strecthed to 16:9.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some channels that show a mix of 16:9 and 4:3 material keep the screen switched to 16:9 and show the 4:3 material with black or coloured bars down the sides. There's really no other way of showing 4:3 on a 16:9 screen without zooming and cropping.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Probably because the box and TV are setup properly to show both 16:9 and 4:3 images in their correct ratios. If you want to grossly distort your picture then you can just select widescreen on your TV and watch "fattyvision" when 4:3 is broadcast. There are no black bars, all there is is the absence of picture because the original filming never had any picture there.

4. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    bobcar is right.

You should try getting used to watching 4:3 pictures in their natural format :)

Not sure but stretching pobably also gives a picture that is less sharp and more suceptable to artifacts - but don't quote me on that one :D

5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I see what you guys are saying, it's just programs that were never recorded in a 16:9 format right? Don't get me wrong, I now much prefer seeing images properly rather than "fattyvision" just a bit annoying when showing a 4:3 screen format on a 16:9 TV, but as has been said thsi is much preferable over stretching the picture and losing picture quality.
    I just wondered if this was common to all freeview boxes, and it seems that it probably is.

6. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A lot of programmes were filmed in 4:3 so unless you chop off the top and bottom you can't fill a 16:9 screen. You can't put back what wasn't there in the first place.

What annoys me is when they show a 2.35 film but zoom it up to 16:9 (presumably because of complaints about black bars top and bottom), Sky seem much better than BBC/ITV in this respect and now usually seem to show the correct aspect ratio.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The point is, it isn't the freeview box, and it isn't the TV. It's the broadcaster who is broadcasting 4x3 material, either because it's old material, or because the broadcaster hasn't yet woken up.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Some channels (BBC) broadcast as pillar box so it looks correct on a widescreen TV.

I tend to use 14x9 or Zoom and then get rid of logos

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i think its a really good way to tell a decent company, if they pay to get their adverts in a sensible (widescreen) format :) then they might well just get a listen.... unless they are one of the annoying loan/insurance adverts, i dont think ive ever seen a good one.... sorry its a little off topic but hey....

10. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes but then you lose some of the picture so you're also distorting it (unless of course its a 14:9 broadcast on say UK Gold when 14:9 is a good as you can get on that channel).

11. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Explicitlyrics

I'm not sure if I read your posting concerning companies and widescreen adverts BUT since June 2000 All TV commercials have had to be made 16:9 Full Height Anamorphic - no exceptions. If it is shown by a 4:3 broadcaster then it is likely they are broadcasting it either at a 14:9 ratio - slightly zoomed in, losing picture info left and right and slight black bars top and bottom or 16:9 letter Boxed (thick black bars top and bottom but full picture).

it's all down to the broadcaster.

12. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well that's good to hear, at least I can't blame any of my equipment!! Although I should be today as ITV3 is almost unwatchable with all the audio breaks and picture artefacts, but that's another story!!

13. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thats very strange, maybe something wrong with my tv then. The Regular Sky box makes my TV switch to 4:3 in some adverts yet they are both set in widescreen....
    Learn something every day :)
    Thanks nathan :)