1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do so many UK shows look so amateurish?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by David Mackenzie, Jul 31, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    OK, so most people are going to think that this is going to be a thread comparing British shows to glossy over-airbrushed American ones. It's not.

It's just that flipping through the channels on my TV there's an abundance of programmes that have been filmed on video, that have had a really awful 'filmic' effect applied. It looks like they've just run it through some process that removes half of the video fields! Everything is nasty and aliased and jaggy.

Examples of shows that look like this include:
    Little Britain (BBC-3)
    Shameless (Channel 4)
    Peep Show (Channel 4)
    Nathan Barley (Channel 4)

Why is this done? Coupled with the horrible compression on so many channels (the BBC ones look especially bad), it makes some programmes just truly unpleasant to watch.

2. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Lyris. We've already had a thread on this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228926

I don't really know why they do this, perhaps they think film looks more 'classy' than videotape. Ten or twenty years ago they would have been right - vt always looked dull and dusty compared to good 35mm film. But with todays superb vt (I think it's all digital now) there's no need to fiddle around with it. It's crisp, bright and pleasing to the eye.
    I used to know the name of this process (a trade name) for this film effect, but I'm blowed if I can recall it now!