Why do people with oled television think they are better then plasma

Appreciate yours and Inferno’s replies.

I’m surprised to read your Panny ZT had DSE. I’ve owned multiple Panasonic plasmas in the past (albeit with a maximum screen size of 50”) and all had perfect screen uniformity.

Can only speak as I find. Previously owned a Pio 436XDE, Panny VT50 and Panny ZT, all suffered from DSE to a certain degree, plus line bleed of course. The ZT was probably the best in this regard but not perfect.

I do strongly believe that a lot of OLED owners go out of there way to find issues with there screen.
I don't watch a grey screen.
I just sit back and enjoy what I'm watching.

I do strongly believe that a lot of OLED owners go out of there way to find issues with there screen.
I don't watch a grey screen.
I just sit back and enjoy what I'm watching.

A man after my own heart. I don't watch 5% slides or black and white films in the hope of catching a whiff of a pink tint in a certain area of the screen. I don't see any issues in normal TV / movie watching.

The main reason I'm still sticking with my plasma is down to my viewing habits. I don't watch many films (just a few that I record on my Virgin box) and I mainly watch a bit of football, golf and cricket and then general recorded programs where quite a lot of them are not even HD.

I don't want to pay out more money just to watch 4K content and I find a lot of films that people rave about I don't enjoy as I find them tedious. Yes they look spectacular even on my HD plasma, but that's not enough for me to want to watch more of the same if the content isn't very good.

I think it's a scandal by the way that Sky are still charging us extra for HD channels. HD should be considered as standard these days surely!

Can only speak as I find. Previously owned a Pio 436XDE, Panny VT50 and Panny ZT, all suffered from DSE to a certain degree, plus line bleed of course. The ZT was probably the best in this regard but not perfect.

My KRP never had Line bleed, I know some Panny sets did, it would have driven me crackers that would have. :confused:

My KRP never had Line bleed, I know some Panny sets did, it would have driven me crackers that would have. :confused:

It wasn't too annoying fortunately 95% of the time, only bad on film credits etc

Mine has none. None of my three Kuros do. I have a 141, a 6020 and a 5020. All three are beautiful. Some of the dreaded red shift on the 5020 but I managed to fix it with assistance from some of the guys in another forum. I don't know what I'm missing with OLEDs since I've never had one and I'm alright with that.

If I see a great deal on Black Friday, I may replace the 5020. But the OLED would have to be under $1,000. If the CX came down that low it would be tempting. Even then I'm not sure though. At this point I'd be lucky to get anything for the 5020 or 6020. In fact, I'm giving the 6020 to a friend. It's been replaced by the 141, which I picked up a couple of weeks ago for $100. At these prices, one can't go wrong with a well cared for plasma.

A few of some grey stuff on my OLED, zero to report here, a few reflections is all you can see if you see anything at all, any blueness is my phone camera.

20201120_155959~2.jpg
20201120_160045~2.jpg
20201120_160118~2.jpg

That looks perfectly uniform.

Yes not bad for something that supposedly has so much uniformity, banding and retention issues is it :)

The set is now on just under 3000 Hours too, it has been Professionally Calibrated as well.

Yes not bad for something that supposedly has so much uniformity, banding and retention issues is it :)

The set is now on just under 3000 Hours too, it has been Professionally Calibrated as well.
What size/model is it, if you don’t mind me asking?

I know that all the panels are made by LG and I appreciate that most people only post on forums when they have a problem, but that is literally the cleanest one I’ve seen.

What size/model is it, if you don’t mind me asking?

I know that all the panels are made by LG and I appreciate that most people only post on forums when they have a problem, but that is literally the cleanest one I’ve seen.

Mine is a B9 55" it may be a freak it may not be but it was ridiculously accurate straight out of the box as well, I would wager that they were mostly all the same though, or I just got lucky.

ISF Night OOB_LI (2).jpg

Probably for the same reason folks prefer a Bugatti La Voiture Noire to a Trabant, or Roederer Cristal to Prosecco.
Frankly I can't believe this is even up for debate, but each to their own I guess.

I have been thinking about changing my Kuro 500a for the last 3 years and to be honest, I am pleased that i have stuck with my plasma, The picture quality is just like the day i bought it, the blacks are black and quality just stands out.
I read on a post recently, Whats the chance of buying one of todays high end TV's in 10 years time for up to £500 , There is no chance at all but you can still get a decent price for a Kuro, The build quality was the best, TV's today are just cheap plastic and maybe built in Turkey on the cheap and not meant to last. , TV's of today are tomorrows throw away rubbish, 8K TV is worse than 4K and there is no 8K content on normal TV. Its all hype.

My 1 and only issue is the amount of energy it costs to run my set up with a Pioneer receiver and a LX08 Blu ray, it costs a lot over a month.

Happy viewing folks

I have been thinking about changing my Kuro 500a for the last 3 years and to be honest, I am pleased that i have stuck with my plasma, The picture quality is just like the day i bought it, the blacks are black and quality just stands out.
I read on a post recently, Whats the chance of buying one of todays high end TV's in 10 years time for up to £500 , There is no chance at all but you can still get a decent price for a Kuro, The build quality was the best, TV's today are just cheap plastic and maybe built in Turkey on the cheap and not meant to last. , TV's of today are tomorrows throw away rubbish, 8K TV is worse than 4K and there is no 8K content on normal TV. Its all hype.

My 1 and only issue is the amount of energy it costs to run my set up with a Pioneer receiver and a LX08 Blu ray, it costs a lot over a month.

Happy viewing folks

Exactly. if you're happy; you're happy and thats all which matters.

However I think when you see an OLED's black, you'll realise plasma blacks were still just very dark grey IMO.

That's one way of putting it. I watch a lot of youtube and music concerts, You cannot get those on 4K.

That's one way of putting it. I watch a lot of youtube and music concerts, You cannot get those on 4K.

a lot of youtube I watch is 4k these days tbh... but 1080p still looks fantastic and i end up knocking it down to 1080p anyway a lot just so i can quickly skip ahead into videos :D

Happy viewing folks

We all used to think our blacks were black, until we switched to OLED! As for the value of your TV, I think 500 quid would be stretching it somewhat - there's a guy advertising his 600 for £350 and getting zero interest. No one really wants a 13/14 year old TV with a bezel the size of Tower Bridge now unless it's going for shrapnel money - they are not like a classic car that can be restored and still be in showroom condition in 60 years time!

Yes, plasmas were good, I had three including a Panny ZT over a 14 year period, but they have had their day and a decent OLED knocks them out the park, even with 1080p. As for 4K and HDR....no contest.

Still, it's your TV and your money, but don't let the rose tinted specs get in the way of a better TV for too long!

I have been watching this guy recently on his views on TV's,

Regards the bezel, I don't mind it, Guess i am use to it , Plus it has the side speakers on.
Could not believe when i first bought the TV , It didn't have any speakers lol.

Exactly. if you're happy; you're happy and thats all which matters.

However I think when you see an OLED's black, you'll realise plasma blacks were still just very dark grey IMO.
I hear this a lot but I think it misses that there was a lot of difference between plasmas. Following is a compilation of black levels for 8th and 9th generation Kuros. The vast majority of plasmas came nowhere close to these black levels. Also, with voltage adjustments, the Kuro black levels could often be lowered further.

They're not the total black of OLED but some of them come close.

8G
Kuro PDP-4280HD (42") 0.007 fL (AVSForum)
Kuro PDP-5080HD (50") 0.006 fL (AVSForum)
Kuro PDP-5010FD (50") 0.004 fL (AVSForum)
Kuro PDP-6010FD (60") 0.004 fL video black, 0.008 fL ANSI (Home Theater)
Elite PRO-110FD (50") 0.004 fL (Home Theater)

9G
Kuro PDP-6020FD (60") 0.001 fL (D-Nice)
Elite PRO-111FD (50") 0.001 fL (Home Theater)
Elite PRO-141FD (60") 0.001 fL (AVSForum)

9.5G
Kuro KRP-500M (50") 0.0005 fL (AVSForum)
Elite PRO-101FD (50") 0.0005 fL (AVSForum)

I hear this a lot but I think it misses that there was a lot of difference between plasmas. Following is a compilation of black levels for 8th and 9th generation Kuros. The vast majority of plasmas came nowhere close to these black levels. Also, with voltage adjustments, the Kuro black levels could often be lowered further.

They're not the total black of OLED but some of them come close.

8G
Kuro PDP-4280HD (42") 0.007 fL (AVSForum)
Kuro PDP-5080HD (50") 0.006 fL (AVSForum)
Kuro PDP-5010FD (50") 0.004 fL (AVSForum)
Kuro PDP-6010FD (60") 0.004 fL video black, 0.008 fL ANSI (Home Theater)
Elite PRO-110FD (50") 0.004 fL (Home Theater)

9G
Kuro PDP-6020FD (60") 0.001 fL (D-Nice)
Elite PRO-111FD (50") 0.001 fL (Home Theater)
Elite PRO-141FD (60") 0.001 fL (AVSForum)

9.5G
Kuro KRP-500M (50") 0.0005 fL (AVSForum)
Elite PRO-101FD (50") 0.0005 fL (AVSForum)

Thats the bottom line and what my point was.

We all used to think our blacks were black, until we switched to OLED! As for the value of your TV, I think 500 quid would be stretching it somewhat - there's a guy advertising his 600 for £350 and getting zero interest. No one really wants a 13/14 year old TV with a bezel the size of Tower Bridge now unless it's going for shrapnel money - they are not like a classic car that can be restored and still be in showroom condition in 60 years time!

Yes, plasmas were good, I had three including a Panny ZT over a 14 year period, but they have had their day and a decent OLED knocks them out the park, even with 1080p. As for 4K and HDR....no contest.

Still, it's your TV and your money, but don't let the rose tinted specs get in the way of a better TV for too long!

Exactly.

I have a 5020, a 6020 and a 141. Each is rated at 0.001 fL and I've tweaked the voltage to lower the black levels further.

I've only seen OLEDs in the store, which does not make for a fair comparison, but I'd be surprised if there were a huge difference in my home. Perhaps I'd see it but I think it an exageration to say any of my existing screens would seem grey. The difference would be small. Given that the very best of the plasmas now sell used for around $100, there's an argument to be made that it's not worth forking $1,000 or more for an OLED.

I have a 5020, a 6020 and a 141. Each is rated at 0.001 fL and I've tweaked the voltage to lower the black levels further.

I've only seen OLEDs in the store, which does not make for a fair comparison, but I'd be surprised if there were a huge difference in my home. Perhaps I'd see it but I think it an exageration to say any of my existing screens would seem grey. The difference would be small. Given that the very best of the plasmas now sell used for around $100, there's an argument to be made that it's not worth forking $1,000 or more for an OLED.

No one is debating if you are short on money, plasmas off signifcanely better value FYI.

People are simply saying OLED's comfortably beat plasmas in black level, brightness, dynamic range, HDR, resolution, instant pixel response time, wider colour gamut etc. etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom