Why do people with oled television think they are better then plasma

Blueray22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi any feedback why people think there oled are better then plasma
I did a side by side comparison I have a Panasonic zt 60 watching a blue ray John wick 3 against a 4k oled same film and the motion handling looked terrible the picture looks so unaturel

I'm kind of with you on this as well, it will be a sad day when my Panasonic Plasma gives up the ghost, even after checking out all the latest OLED's for the last 6 months in the shops I'm still not in a hurry to buy one. From what I've seen lately they only seem to trump my Plasma with better resolution, apart from that I can't see the attraction apart from it having smart features and a larger screen size.
Vincent from HDTV Test put them side by side and from what I made out he says the Panasonic HZ2000 OLED is better.

To add: I only use BluRay 1080p from my cambridge CXU into my Panny Plasma and the picture still blows me away with movies.

I have owned a Pioneer KRP600 since launch and have just ordered a 77CX. I am changing for size only and am more than happy with the picture on the plasma. I have 3 4K tv’s in the house, all less than a year old and none of them come close to matching the quality of the Pioneer. I expect to see an improvement when watching 4K content but not so sure with 1080P content and motion handling, will report back once the new tv is installed.

I've had a 65 inch Panasonic HZ2000 for about a month now and have to say that overall it's a big improvement over my ISF calibrated 65 inch VT50. After some careful settings I believe the motion is as good, with colours, brightness, contrast and blacks all better, not to mention 4K resolution and smart features. The black levels especially for me make the picture just look 'right', and it's nice to finally not be able to distinguish the black bars in movies from the TV frame. It is very expensive, but only about £500 more than my VT50 cost me 8 years ago. Overall, really happy I upgraded :thumbsup:

Got rid of the 1 tonne plasma a few years ago. While the plasma was good, HDR is nice and the 4K res good on a 65inch TV. Colour out of the box is far better too, I have a Panasonic.

I did a side by side comparison I have a Panasonic zt 60 watching a blue ray John wick 3 against a 4k oled same film and the motion handling looked terrible the picture looks so unaturel
What about the picture noise on the OLED too! :facepalm:

I have one of last 55" plasmas from Panasonic in lounge and think it deff gives a more natural picture overall, but is no where near as bright or wow as the LG c8 65" in our extension.
I to used to think I would not better the plasma, as early LCD to always to me looked to fake over bright.
The blacks on OLED to are better again. Much lighter and thinner to able to mount tight up against wall. DV/HDR streamed or on disc looks so much better and even HD stuff.

What about the picture noise on the OLED too! :facepalm:
Don't see any on my PZ950, I think basically the mastering of films.tv tec has improved enough that this is now a non-issue. Simply Plasma didn't have the brightness to expose the noise.

Don't see any on my PZ950, I think basically the mastering of films.tv tec has improved enough that this is now a non-issue. Simply Plasma didn't have the brightness to expose the noise.
Its on 4K films Harry Potter, Top Gun and Kick Ass. And it’s on loads more too eg Wonder Woman etc.

You don't say which OLED you used as a comparison, or how it was setup, which picture mode etc, so it's difficult to judge how representative your comparison was.

All I can say is that I recently went from a calibrated Panny ZT65 to an HZ1000 OLED, and the OLED is better in all respects, even black levels which the ZT65 was famed for back in the day.

Sure it takes a few days to adjust to the greater luminance and more saturated colours, but that doesn't mean they are unnatural , just that Plasma was a bit undercooked in those departments. Also while I have not had the OLED calibrated due to it's out of the box accuracy, I have tweaked it by reducing the luminance and red saturation levels a bit to suit my (Plasma informed) taste.

QLED flagship TVs are the best HDR TVs.

Contentious. They may well be brighter, but their overall contrast is not as good as OLED due to their inferior black and near black performance. IMHO.

Do you get any banding on tele
Cannot say I’ve noticed any, in fact I used to see more on my plasma on low bit rate content. I have watched quite a bit of streamed content which would likely show it but really haven’t noticed any

Simple, because they are

QLED flagship TVs are the best HDR TVs.

You are joking I am sure - I am yet to see a QLED I could watch let alone recommend! - No blacks, Blurry moving image and blooming and dirty screen! - I cannot see why anyone would recommend a qled to anyone...

As for the OP - I have always had Panasonic Plasmas and replaced my 50VT50 panasonic with a Panny 950 OLED - and the picture is stunning. Any soap opera effects are not on the OLED unless you turn interpolation on..

Whats is standard defination like on oled as I watch alot of this on freesat and its good on my plasma

SD was dreadful on my pioneer KRP, I steered well clear of it and only ever tried to watch HD, SD is dreadful on my OLED as well. :rotfl:

Whats is standard defination like on oled as I watch alot of this on freesat and its good on my plasma

If you watch a lot of SD television, why waste your money on a 4K OLED? It would be like buying a Ferrari to do your weekly shop in.

If you watch a lot of SD television, why waste your money on a 4K OLED? It would be like buying a Ferrari to do your weekly shop in.
Exactly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom