Why Do People Rave About Richer Sounds?

BobBob21

Buying is just as much an art as selling is and paying anything other than ticket price will come down to a number of different factors.

In the last few places we've lived there have been 2-3 Richer Sounds that are approximately equally convenient to get to and so unlike others here I am not loyal to one store or know staff by name but do have the ability to check with multiple stores.

With my last projector purchase called one store and they offered me £50 off plus a HDMI cable if I needed it (didn't and doubt it had much resale value). Called the other one and they offered £200 off. I always do the negotiations over phone or email and normally mention that they've done good by me in the past... I'm more of a chicken in person.

2. Stores can quite often charge different prices for the same product.
3. Some stores are almost calamitous in terms of service with poor staff who are just too busy. They can come across as a bit amateur. One time I had to wait 30 minutes for a guy to cut some speaker wire.
4. Website is poor but improving. Buying off the internet is easier on other sites.

Not sure on 2 if you meant list or offer? I don't know the business model for Richer Sounds buttony similar chains work on pseudo franchise... buy product from Head Office at a set price, sell it as you see fit. There will always be a local balance of profit margin -v- volume and different managers have different ideas... plus then stepped bonuses etc can kick in.

Given the post was mainly about securing extra discounts I'm not sure the relevance of the quality of their site? I've only known one website where you could negotiate on Live Chat and then buy online still.

Agrippa 57

RS are one of the very rare breed that have an active participation on this forum & have been keen to step in when things have gone wrong. If you don't want the enhancements they offer & can buy cheaper elsewhere, I'm not sure what the issue is - just buy elsewhere...
Think they used to be big supporters of Viz too. Has to be a huge plus. Not comparing AV to Viz, thoughbut. Just saying...

Garrett

Bought a Philips TV which was a pain for ever going wrong, and contacted them and got picked up by them and replacement of same. And that the picture went and only got sound. I replaced with a Toshiba which also was a pain which on the second time after pluging in some functions would not work so constantly needed re pluging. Rang them on Friday next news got a special weekend deliver on Saturday rather than normal delivery which I was expecting Monday. All no quibble and the delivery's at their cost.

So they get a thumbs up from me.

BTW the picture good even if not HD but the software sucks big time to get teletex you have to disconnect from the internet and remove it from the menu than you can access teletext. Which is OK till later in the day you want say Prime and have to set it up again. Plus sometimes going into Prime the sound from terrestrial on so have to switch of and on again.

wolfie138

have to chip in, all my AV stuff for years [barring a multi-region blu ray player, stuff they don't deal in] has been through RS and for good reasons, most of which has already been covered above. i know a bunch of their stuff is cheap because it's end of line or previous year models but that doesn't really bother me if i'm getting something good at a good price.

Alz73

Standard Member
Have to admit I'm a bit non-plussed as to why RS get all the love on this and other forums.

I bought a couple of bits from them some years ago and they were OK - not outstanding.

A year or so back though decided to retire my separates and look for a decent micro system. Happened to be in London so dropped into their City store, didn't have enough time for a proper demo but had a chat to one of the guys there who was perfectly helpful, explained the different options. So I left there, deciding to go to my nearest store, Milton Keynes, one evening after work. Did so - the store was quiet, waited around a few minutes for a sales guy to eventually wander up, explained what I was thinking about, he was totally dis-interested. Half heartedly got one of the items out the window so I could look at it, didn't offer any demos, didn't seem bothered about making a sale. So I made my excuses and left.

Ended up buying a Denon DM41 from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision on line.

So I probably won't bother going back to RS in MK.

Also worth bearing in mind about RS's "6 year warranty" - this isn't underwritten, so if RS goes under you end up with a worthless warranty - going back 20 years there was an outcry when Tempo and Tiny went under leaving people with worthless warranties.

Alz73

Standard Member
They knocked £1100 off my TV and it'd only just been released!!!

Fantastic delivery experience of the TV too. Felt like they'd delivered a Van Gogh the care they took over it and the process.

They also knocked 10% off all of the other items I bought alongside it.

Then when I'd set it all up the salesman I'd dealt with visited me to see it all up and running and gave me a free 4K Bluray.

If they could afford to knock £ 1100 off a new TV, it means their ticket price was massively inflated.

Electricals margins are not generous - sub 10% isn't uncommon, so if they did that much discount it means they were either over-priced or took a huge loss, neither of which are good business.

Venomx999

I've heard lots of good about RS from family and on here.
I was interested in one of their TV's as they have it lower than everywhere else and with an excellent 6yr guarantee.

Just my luck that the one TV I want to buy has to be done over the phone, which I don't feel comfy with at all. I'll be waiting a few weeks to see if it will become available over the website. If not it will have to be somewhere else.

The friendly customer service replied quickly to my enquiry as to why I can't order via the website and they said it's a " Special order "

After closer inspection on the site it says " Stock erratic - Call for info/alternative "

Could they be playing it like that so that I cannot pricematch RS as most places only pricematch items which are available online.

meduk1

I'll always use RS as one of my default places to buy from.

The additional warranty they offer is very good, and I've been impressed with their price match process.

Bought my very first separate system from them probably 20 years ago so part of it might be that, although I very rarely would go into a store these days.

Alz73

Standard Member
Our corporate discount used to be 30% off TVs... can't see them selling them to us at a loss

Given their own accounts reckon they're working on a margin of 25% - I suspect they may have been.

Their accounts for 2020 are on Companies House website.

They'll be making alot of money on cables, stands and peripherals because those are always high margin items.

Alz73

Standard Member
I've heard lots of good about RS from family and on here.
I was interested in one of their TV's as they have it lower than everywhere else and with an excellent 6yr guarantee.

Just my luck that the one TV I want to buy has to be done over the phone, which I don't feel comfy with at all. I'll be waiting a few weeks to see if it will become available over the website. If not it will have to be somewhere else.

The friendly customer service replied quickly to my enquiry as to why I can't order via the website and they said it's a " Special order "

After closer inspection on the site it says " Stock erratic - Call for info/alternative "

Could they be playing it like that so that I cannot pricematch RS as most places only pricematch items which are available online.

Most likely it's an item they can't secure regular supply of or it's one which has a relatively low sales rate when they do have it.

Their pricing may be predatory to try to secure a sale, but if they haven't got the stock or you end up waiting many weeks then there's a risk the customer will just buy elsewhere at a higher price if that's the item they really want.

The policies on price-matching go back many years - the problem back in the 80s were people like Colourvision who used to take out whole page adverts in local newspapers advertising items at a bargain price - probably being sold at a loss - to try to undermine the competition. So most of the price match policies then started to stipulate 'Must have item in stock' - which is fair enough. It's all well and good saying 'we'll sell you item 'x' for £ 500' but if you don't have it then you can't make the sale.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
If they could afford to knock £ 1100 off a new TV, it means their ticket price was massively inflated.

Electricals margins are not generous - sub 10% isn't uncommon, so if they did that much discount it means they were either over-priced or took a huge loss, neither of which are good business.

They were selling the TV at RRP before the discount. It'd only just come out and I got the first one they had. It was a price-match +£100 as another retailer offered to knock £1000 off. They were also selling at RRP before discount.

So the TV wasn't over-priced to begin with but they still did the discount.

Howardfh

Round here you have two choices, Richer Sounds or Currys.

Well, one choice. Let's just say I ordered a Cambridge soundbase during lockdown on their website, I got a phonecall within seconds explaining it might take 5 - 7 days. It turned up the following morning. Only gripe is their shop in Manchester has very limited parking (if any) and they should find more suitable premises. Bottom line, I'd pay more for RS electronics than Currys.

D

Deleted member 498601

The simple fact is a lot of modern movies try to cram in WOKE nonsense and gender politics and all that jazz which effectively ruins the movies. Nearly all my top movies are from 70's and 80's and what they all have in common is well written stories, well edited, directed and scored with great actors and no WOKE moments or trying to appease to the Chinese or inappropriate gender politics.

Got example in Jaws 3 white men went out in the boat. Not 2 men, one black, and 1 Asian woman as it would be today unfortunately.

Check yo'self* before you wreck yo'self!

*and thread title, check that sh*t too :laugh:

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Not idea seriously how that happened? Weirdest thing ever. I wasn't even in General Chat. The site has gone mad. Cyber attack.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
I shop at RS. Bought most of my stereo set up from there about a year ago & got a reasonable discount.
The little lady was not happy with a Cyrus Stealth we purchased in lockdown & the store allowed us to exchange the product with no fuss.
I recently visited the Chiswick store to trial/purchase some headphones, again received discount. I have always found the staff to be informative, helpful & polite.
I will definitely be going there for a new TV.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
I would also like to add that my experience with RS has always been positive. Good service and if anything goes wrong or you change your mind they are only too keen to help.

AMc

Distinguished Member
My latest experience buying a >£1000 TV was positive during lockdown too.
It was on offer with £100 off making them over £100 cheaper than JL who were out of stock - I dithered and waited a day and the offer expired.
Rang the local store up and asked if they'd honour the deal which they would but (reasonably) only if I ordered then and there - which was fine.
One day before the price match period ended they knocked £100 off the website price - I rang up and they checked the terms and refunded me an additional £100 to my card there and then.

My only negative experience was probably 20yrs ago trying to buy a Yamaha receiver which was advertised in their magazine at a great price. Yamaha were not keen on releasing stock to RS to undercut everyone else, so I made a few trips in my lunch hour to the New Oxford without success. I eventually got it from JL price matching the advertised price.
RS do advertise some amazing prices but the "limited stock" "instore only" things are often almost impossible to secure. If the TV the OP is after is coming to the end of stock and RS are very comfortable they can sell every unit at list then I'm not surprised they're not moving as far as they might on something at a higher margin.
In the end you can spend your money where you like.

Booker DeWITT

I've only used them once, but I have no complaints. The 6 year guarantee helped me out when my TV developed a fault, luckily I still had one year left on the guarantee, and they fixed it no problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp