• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why do people keep talking about flying cars?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Cars will never fly.... fact
We could make a flying car....yes
.....but they never will.

YouTube - NASA Puffin Low Noise, Electric VTOL Personal Air Vehicle

Now before you think i'm mad for saying that. Can you imagine in the future the 2050 version of a flying Nissan Sunny with a dodgy MOT ploughing into a school, or "boy flyers" colliding over the local asda on a saturday night? Or giving a whole new slant to suicide bombing?

the Jetsons was a product of more innocent time

G

Electric Icarus: NASA Designs a One-Man Stealth Plane: Scientific American

There has been a flying car for over 10 years.

S Bibby

Hi,
VTOL planes or helicopters should take over from cars in the future. The land is too congested and personal vehicles are inefficient compared to most aviation.

Unfortunately I doubt the motor industry will see it this way, but all the aviation industry needs is the equivalent of a Model T and we're on.

Last edited:

ROBIN50N

imagine the sun being blocked out by lines of cars in the sky, nice view. the noise would be nice aswell. then idiots chucking things out of the window would be fun to dodge.

Last edited:

ROBIN50N

I am sure that was in a book i read in the early 80's @ junior school . God only knows how old that book was then

its always for sale on firebox haha.

the car that is.

nheather

Distinguished Member
It is mass production. You can buy one.

No it isn't. You have been able to pre-order one for years by putting down a deposit. The deposit was meant to be refundable under certain conditions - failure to acheive FAA, cancellation of project etc.) but there have been suggestions that the company may not be able to have the finances to do this.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sonic67

Banned
The problem is you need both a driving license and a pilots license. When the day comes that the thing flies itself they might one day be viable. Hopefully by then we will have solved the energy crisis as well. Have you seen how much fuel a plane can take, especially VTOL?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
If you look at Science Fiction and Comic books many years back you can see things in these that were thought to be "never possible" etc and now we have technology like we see in these in every day use... some of which were probably also thought in the same way that "even if they could, they wouldn't make X".

You can't really say "never".

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
If you look at Science Fiction and Comic books many years back you can see things in these that were thought to be "never possible" etc and now we have technology like we see in these in every day use... some of which were probably also thought in the same way that "even if they could, they wouldn't make X".

You can't really say "never".

of course you can with some applied logic and a realistic time frame

vtol takes insane amounts of fuel, very handy as we are running out of oil and petrol will be £2 a litre in a couple of years, hybrid planes with 2 tonnes of batterys that will work well :)

then you have mechanical reliability, if a car breaks down you just free wheel to the kerb, if a plane breaks down you free wheel into the nearest mountain, house, group of people SPLAT! we got 3 millions people we cant even get to insure there cars, cant wait for them to get car-planes ...

then look at the idiots that get licenses, apart from the mentally challenged (which half seam to be) imagine fly with all the incompetent nimbys who cant even use there mirrors and pull over :rolleyes:, they will be dropping like flies, just look at how many systems are needed just to control a few 1000s airliners in the sky, 100 million flying cars will be easy :eek: cant wait for the SUP 4x4 car / plane ...

so as i said, wont happen till you got an efficient alternative fuel system and decent AI that can fly the car to specific rules, specific lanes / routes, keep appropriate safe distances in 360 degrees and constantly self monitor for faults.

1000 years maybe

Iccz

Distinguished Member
of course you can with some applied logic and a realistic time frame

vtol takes insane amounts of fuel, very handy as we are running out of oil and petrol will be £2 a litre in a couple of years, hybrid planes with 2 tonnes of batterys that will work well :)

then you have mechanical reliability, if a car breaks down you just free wheel to the kerb, if a plane breaks down you free wheel into the nearest mountain, house, group of people SPLAT! we got 3 millions people we cant even get to insure there cars, cant wait for them to get car-planes ...

then look at the idiots that get licenses, apart from the mentally challenged (which half seam to be) imagine fly with all the incompetent nimbys who cant even use there mirrors and pull over :rolleyes:, they will be dropping like flies, just look at how many systems are needed just to control a few 1000s airliners in the sky, 100 million flying cars will be easy :eek: cant wait for the SUP 4x4 car / plane ...

so as i said, wont happen till you got an efficient alternative fuel system and decent AI that can fly the car to specific rules, specific lanes / routes, keep appropriate safe distances in 360 degrees and constantly self monitor for faults.

1000 years maybe

The point is "Never" is not a realistic time frame and saying that it will never happen has no logic applied to it :smashin:

Obviously there are plenty of arguments against flying cars, but if you had of gone back to 100 years before the car was invented you might find people with the same views of having people driving these machines when these people probably couldn't even operate a train and that's on set tracks...

I understand your points and they are of course correct, but I was saying you can't say, like the OP did, that it will "never" happen.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Having suffered nearly £2k of pothole damage this winter, I'd settle for a car that hovers slightly above the road surface, never mind fly.:rolleyes:

Please don't mention a hovercraft, they have the turning circle of a battleship.
Imagine trying to get one of them down a country lane.

I want Luke Skywalker's landspeeder......although you never saw it turn either actually....

IronGiant

First commercial jetpack to go on sale for £50,000 | Mail Online

I'm not sure if it's solved the main problem with such kit. When they run out of fuel and if you are not paying attention and still at 500ft up, you are going to be coming straight back down. It's not like an aircraft which can at least try to glide.

Sorted?

The device has safety features to combat the inherent dangers of flying through the air. It has both an internal roll cage to protect the pilot from side impact and a ballistic parachute system that works at low altitudes.

I bet you'd still come down with one hell of a bump though :)

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom