Why do people believe in conspiracy theories?

• Thread starter Deleted member 686356
  • Start date
Usually just too much time on the internet + over inflated view of their own intelligence.

Why do they believe in them? Because they don't research the original story and quotes for themselves. They get lazy and read someone else's take on it. Suddenly everyone is an expert on vaccinations. LOL.

A family member didn't believe that man landed on the moon, despite all the contrary evidence. But she believed some obscure, dubious German scientist that it was fake. Weird. Eventually she did come around.

It's very easy to get sucked into the conspiracy theories. I remember not buying the official 9/11 story, but then I finally spent several months going through the evidence myself, bought loads of books, listened and watched all the evidence. What happened happened. There was no evil government behind it. 19 hijackers did it. People forget that the security was incredibly relaxed in those days.

Famous people like Russell Brand perpetuate myths and conspiracies about big government, and sometimes he has a point, but there is no plan to control the world, they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. They are hopeless at doing the simple things.

last week i had an argument with my family about new C19 regulations. They said it was in the news so it's official and everyone is saying the same and I'm the only one who doesn't believe it despite all the effort i took to show them the exact regulations from the website of the government. My explanations don't make any sense, they say. Funny thing is the next day they said there isn't enough time to enforce the regulations so everything is postponed a week. It took me 3 days to convince at least some of them that there's probably nothing to the story.

Why do they believe in them? Because they don't research the original story and quotes for themselves. They get lazy and read someone else's take on it. Suddenly everyone is an expert on vaccinations. LOL.

A family member didn't believe that man landed on the moon, despite all the contrary evidence. But she believed some obscure, dubious German scientist that it was fake. Weird. Eventually she did come around.

It's very easy to get sucked into the conspiracy theories. I remember not buying the official 9/11 story, but then I finally spent several months going through the evidence myself, bought loads of books, listened and watched all the evidence. What happened happened. There was no evil government behind it. 19 hijackers did it. People forget that the security was incredibly relaxed in those days.

Famous people like Russell Brand perpetuate myths and conspiracies about big government, and sometimes he has a point, but there is no plan to control the world, they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. They are hopeless at doing the simple things.
This is something I have often noticed amongst CTists. I think I've mentioned it already in this thread but if any experts in the relevant fields have the same views as them, they are all over it like dogs to meat.

It's easy to see why people would put trust in these experts when they are obviously intelligent and educated individuals, but they seem to ignore the fact that these experts will not speak for everyone or even most others in their academic field.

Arnold Schwarzenegger made a good point regarding this and Covid vaccines a while back.

Unfortunately it probably fell on deaf ears.

Complacency also contributed to 9/11, but that was it.

Couldn't agree more with your final comment :)

When i am responsible for something then I should be the expert and not depend on another person's opinion. When i am not competent to make the right decisions i shouldn't take on responsibility in the first place. The fire department is not responsible for my house, the ambulance not for my heart.

Many - well TBH, most -conspiracy theories are obvious bunkum. But some are either true or at least based on truth. The most striking, I won't use the favourite as people died, is that the US government poisoned alcohol during prohibition. This killed hundreds of people.

Many - well TBH, most -conspiracy theories are obvious bunkum. But some are either true or at least based on truth. The most striking, I won't use the favourite as people died, is that the US government poisoned alcohol during prohibition. This killed hundreds of people.
Not alcohol intended for human consumption though.

When i am responsible for something then I should be the expert and not depend on another person's opinion. When i am not competent to make the right decisions i shouldn't take on responsibility in the first place. The fire department is not responsible for my house, the ambulance not for my heart.
What are you talking about?

Aliens.

61.png

last week i had an argument with my family about new C19 regulations. They said it was in the news so it's official and everyone is saying the same and I'm the only one who doesn't believe it despite all the effort i took to show them the exact regulations from the website of the government. My explanations don't make any sense, they say. Funny thing is the next day they said there isn't enough time to enforce the regulations so everything is postponed a week. It took me 3 days to convince at least some of them that there's probably nothing to the story.
What new regulations?

@jurassicmark i was talking about the link on Arnold Schwarzenegger.

@Maeght starting 20th Nov you're required to bring a negative antigen-test result or vaccination when going to the supermarket. So some kind of documents. This was published 18th Nov.

@Maeght starting 20th Nov you're required to bring a negative antigen-test result or vaccination when going to the supermarket. So some kind of documents. This was published 18th Nov.
In which country? Nothing to the story if they were thinking it applies to England.

And what's that got to do with conspiracy theories?

Last edited:
It's not about opinion though, it's about skills and knowledge.

It didn't help that the left hand and the right hand were barely on speaking terms either.
The personal relationship - or lack of it - between O'Neil and Scheuer was certainly a major factor. There was also the misunderstanding on the part of the CIA about 'the Wall' whereby they thought it was illegal to pass information on to the FBI.

@jurassicmark i was talking about the link on Arnold Schwarzenegger.
But you're not an expert on Covid so should rely on information and advice given from those who are experts. This is not about "another person's opinion" but the scientific consensus. You are ultimately responsible to make decisions about what actions to take (if any) but surely having expert information and advice is the best basis on which to make decisions. That's what Arnie is endorsing.

I'm not sure about your strange analogies but if your house is on fire then the fire brigade are the experts to deal with that. If you should have a heart attack then the ambulance crew are the experts to deal with that, at least until you get to hospital.

I believe a certain company who regularly advertises on ITV2 and ITV4 could be involved in a conspiracy.

Every one of their customers who rings up for a quote as the company just needs their age and smoker status are 32 and a non smoker, every single one.

today i learned about "Let's go Brandon". There's a conspiracy theory that they said something different - despite all evidence on Live TV broadcast.

Not to sure there is any doubt about what they were chanting.

Warning may contain rude word depending on your politics. :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom