Why do I still have jaggies with HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cg999, Dec 18, 2001.

1. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When there is a horizontal pan I can see the jaggie lines on objects such as vertical posts, associated with interlaced video even though I'm using a PC (with PowerDVD). I thought that using a PC would give me a progressive signal and eliminate this.

Obviously I'm missing something here.

Conor

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Conor,

Many things affect Jaggies.

They may even be on the DVD encoded that way and therefore impossible to remove (some poor encoded discs are like this).

Your refresh rate, resolution and playback device will affect them too.

For example have you got Hardware Acceleration switched on? If it is try it switched off and see if you get imporved results.

Regards Neil.

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Neil

I'm using a 60hz refresh rate (anything else gives me tearing). I'm using PowerDVD. And 800X600 resolution.

I'v noticed jaggies on Star Wars I

I've been telling people about my progressive scan picture (and of course they find this most facinating) and the much improved image that I now have. So I just thought when I saw these jaggies that I must be the greatest clown in HCPC history because if I can see jaggies well then it can't be a progressive picture. I suppose what I really looking for here is reassurance.

What about Auto-select/Force-Bob/Force-Weave in Power DVD, what should these be set at?

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated

Conor

My Home Logon name is cg999

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the trick is to try them out.

Personally I find AutoSelect to do a good job personally. Try Weave for film based material.

Regards jenz.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    If I use PowerDVD on my laptop, I can see the jaggies you mention.

This is because it is showing 450 lines out of 480 (or 576 if it's a PAL DVD).

What you can see are the missing 30 lines - I take it the 'jaggies' are evenly spaced throughout the image?

I can even do this on my htpc for my Davis. If I have an anamorphic image, and use YXY to scale it down to 800 x 450, I will see the jaggies. To remove them, I increase the picture height and you will slowly see the jaggies spacing increase until the full height resolution is achieved (480 for instance). This results in an image overspill, so you lose aprox 30 pixels width each side of the screen (IIRC).

When I was using ECenter on the Mpact2 player, I could tell it what type of monitor I was using (widescreen or 4:3). I haven't looked into PowerDVD, but if you can tell it you have a 4:3 monitor, it may provide something like a 340 line image, then upscale it using interpolation to achieve the correct height/ratio of your monitor. This way you don't get the jaggies, but a slightly less sharp image.

HTH

Gary.