• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

why do I need an upscaling dvd player?

mjm295

Standard Member
The TV has 720P resolution, when I play a normal dvd on the normal dvd player, I still get a full screen picture, so I guess the TV must be upscaling, so why do so many people buy upscaling dvd players? Am I missing something?

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
They are falling for the marketing the manufacturers tell us. On the other side, the upscaler may be better than the one in TV but it depends on how much is spent. For instance, the upscalers in my players (Sony NS76 and Panasonic S52) are better than my £250 LCD TV but a cheap £30 upscaling player is quite a bit worse. If the TV is any good by a well known brand then the chances it will be better or just as good as most players.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Some upscaling DVD players have better upscalers than the TV but it is generally reckoned that you need to be on a pretty high end player for that to be the case so the answer to your question is no, you don't really need an upscaling player, just let your TV do the job.

Cheers,

Martin.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom