1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I need an RGB to VGA box?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Selectortone, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, I've been lurking here for a long time and like many lurkers, I'm sure, am about to upgrade to a Plasma screen - a Panasonic probably - and hoping to get it right.

One thing that I can't get straight in my head - converting the RGB signal from my NTL cable box and DVD to VGA, using something like a JS Technology RGB to Plasma VGA converter:

If the screen is supplied with a SCART board what benefit do I get? The signal starts as RGB - how does converting it to VGA make it 'better' ? Doesn't the SCART board do that anyway - RGB in VGA out? Is the weak link the SCART board supplied with the screen, so using the converter bypasses the problem? Or am I missing the point? (quite possible :laugh: )

Any advice gratefully received - thanks in advance!

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yep you got it in one!! Scart board on Panasonic is pants at best, easier to budget for converter instead and avoid it altogether.

However scart socket can be useful since it is also a s-video and composite video input, and it allows auto-aspect selection. Sometimes the functionality overides the quality advantage of the JS box

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    js box does not convert the signal its take RGBS (red,green,blue,sync) and splits it into RGBHV (Horizontal, Vertical sync) so no loss of quality Panny can come with a scart board but doesnt have to the dual slot board has much better functionality......

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Liam,
    since buying my own screen, I've tried using the "Just" zoom mode to fit a4:3 to a 16:9 image, but watching motorsport makes you queasy. 4:3 on a 16:9 is just far too small, so I watch it all in 16:9. I know many people who prefer it this way too. But, also an equal number who'd rather have some sort of auto switching! There's a box by Multi-region.co.uk that does this switching for you.

However, the quality improvement of going in via the VGA socket is more than worth it!

Horny,
    we do a little bit more. First, it's very very accurate. But, we also do some cleaning to get rid of bogus information.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.