Question Why do i get this using xlr cables with my Monolith

martian1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi after some advice from subwoofer and bass experts :) I am running a 5 meter xlr cable from my processor to my sub but the bass seems very lacking almost midrange compared to using RCA cable any idea why ? I know I could just stick with RCA but I want all my cables kept the same if possible and I use xlr for all other channels.
Help appreciated.

It may be the bass management in the amp.
Speakers set to small so the sub will not get the bass as its sent to the RCA connection.

If you set it to large then it will get the bass.

Too early on a bank hiloday to explain why you should leave it set to small and the sub connected by RCA.

Bass is produced better by the sub than speakers.
Amp has an easer life just producing the higher sounds leaving the sub to do the wor its designed for.

Hope this helps

Thanks never thought of that, yes I do have all my speakers set to small even though the amps test set my fronts and centre to large. I prefer as you say to let the sub manage bass its designed for that.
I thought with speakers set to small it would send the bass for them below the crossover point to sub with either RCA or XLR but perhaps you are right and XLR is primary for music and gets bass from the front stereo pair only, I think I remember the sub came with a cable that had a XLR connector one end and bare wires to link into fronts at the other.
I will test this out but as you say probably best sticking to RCA for sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom