Why Do I Get Speeds Worst Than Dial Up On My BT Broadband?

TC-18

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry in advance but I am gonna ramble abit lol.

I am on the top package from BT Broadband and I am getting speeds worst than dial-up, and all of a sudden I will get speeds of 1MB [which I am more than pleased with considering I am getting speeds less than dial-up!] but this only last for say an hour than I get slow speeds again, this is not just the problem, when someone rings my landline phone the internet will just cut out! I've had this problem since I took out broadband with BT [6months] and they do line tests and they come back a ok and say there is a problem at my end, and when they do remote access they say that my setup is all ok aswell. They can't seem to work the problem out and its driving me mad!

Any help please! :D

i had this problem intermitently.

bt and my isp denied i had an issue

they even made me buy a new router

buggers!

anyway, turned out there was a low threshold problem on my line.

they fixed it

i was literally getting 1k a second or less

The internet cutting off from making incomming/outgoing calls is normally down to the microfilters you fit, or may have gone faulty.
ALL items attached to the Telephone line MUST have a filter including SKY boxes, alarms etc etc.

I have BT Option 3, i am also getting speeds of 1Mb. I think these numbers are to cute, i am nearly 100% sure BT have capped our speeds to 1Mb to keep them "stable". It's ********, my neighbout next door is on sky and he get 6Mb, but BT cap me at 1Mb. I really wanna know if they breach the contract by doing this because i want to cancle.

With a BT Homehub and with gliches on the line the Homehub steps down a level (speed) each time, try unplugging the power to the hub, wait one minute and then plug in again, the speed should go back to normal.
Better if you acces the homehub and note the speed prior to doing this as you can then compare before/after.
http://192.168.1.254/ to acces the Hub info

First all let me assure you that with dial-up the best that people got was about 40 kb/s from a 56 kb/s modem; with lots of people achieving only 20 - 30 kb/s. In other words it depended on your line - so no change there then.

Next, in my experience, the support [sic] people at BT are a gang of useless muppets so I am not surprised that they have not been able to help much. However this is a good place for help.

What Line Speed is your BT Home Hub(?) achieving (192.168.1.254)?

What results do you get from www.speedtester.bt.com ? (All of them.)

Have you checked your internal wiring (your responsibility not BT's)? Have you got micro filters on ALL telephones and modems (like a sky box)?

I have BT Option 3, i am also getting speeds of 1Mb. I think these numbers are to cute, i am nearly 100% sure BT have capped our speeds to 1Mb to keep them "stable". It's ********, my neighbout next door is on sky and he get 6Mb, but BT cap me at 1Mb. I really wanna know if they breach the contract by doing this because i want to cancle.

What evidence do you have the BT are capping you? How are you measuring your speed?

Sky use different kit to BT and so can supply a faster service.

You signed up for an 'Up to' 8 Mb/s service subject to a Fair Use Policy which BT are supplying. So no breach of contract there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom