Why do I get jerky panning during playblack

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
when I copy a film I own to my harddrive and play it whenever there is a slow camera pan shot it looks quite jerky. Its not present in the original copy. What am I doing wrong? I copy it to AVI and the file is about 1.5gb

next010

Distinguished Member
Depends on the media player your using I guess.

Try XBMC then go into system settings/video/playback. There you can enable the options for XBMC to match the display to the frame rate of the video if your display supports 24/50/60hHz.

If your display doesn't support the above what you can do instead if tick the box to sync the video to the display and XBMC will try a smooth video effect.

If this is for use on a hardware media player it's best to test the video on that then on the PC. I'd also recommend x264/mkv or at least x264/mp4 over xvid/avi for compressing video, Handbrake will do that for you.

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
I am using a Cyclone primus media player connected to my TV, If I rip an MKV file it plays fine on my computer but is jerky as hell on the media player. Do you know what might be causing this? Many thanks for your advice so far

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
As Next said, check the dispaly frame rate changes to match the source frame rate, this could cause the problem.

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
I apologise for my stupidity but how do I do this? the only display I can change on my media player is 24hz, 50hz, 60hz 1080p. For some wierd reason as well if I select 24hz the sound and video is massively out of sync. I only get the jerkiness from mkv files. MPG, MP4 play just fine.

next010

Distinguished Member
The Cyclone Primus appears to be a Boxchip F10 based player, this is an older chipset from a few years ago. I'm not sure if it can handle playback of 24Hz video material if these are Blu-ray sourced material. I'm guessing the F10 also lacks the automatic resolution switch option more modern players have.

Are there any firmware updates for these, if so I would try that out and see if it can resolve it.

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
Ok, I do find it strange though that its only an issue for MKV how come MPG rips play flawlessly and at 1080p? Whats Cyclone got against MKV? especially as its part of the name of the unit. So confused.

MarkE19

It could well be that your MPG media is at the same refresh rate as you have the player set to, but the MKV's are at a different refresh rate. Or if the program you use to create the MKV's is converting them from one refresh rate to another that would also cause the judder as frame rate conversion is not easy to do well.

Mark.

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
Is there anything I can do about it? the MKV plays fine on my cheap laptop but not the media player connected to the TV. The media palyer said it can play full 1080p at 30FPS so I am not sure why it doesn't work. I cant set the 'framerate' on my media player i can only change the resolution to 24, 50, or 60hz. The MKV file is 25 frames per second. Can someone explain to me in 'dumb' terms why I am getting the jerkiness on the media player and not on the laptop despite the fact it claims it can handle up to 30FPS.

awink1

Distinguished Member
Set the media player to 50Hz that should in theory do the trick...

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
Tried that it doesn't work. Its driving me mad, because I cant get to the bottom of why it is choosing to only do this with MKV files and not MPG especially as the frame rate is the same....The ruddy thing is called a 'cyclone primus MKV player' and it cant play MKV without being a jerky mess...So strange

Rom

OK, you are confusing things and also need to understand the difference between a container and a format.

Firstly your original post states that it is an AVI thet you had problems with (avi is a container). Then you go on to state that you only have problems with MKV (mkv is also a container). mpeg is a format (mpeg2 specifically).

A vifeo format is just that, it is a standard audio/video type that playback software must support to play the content - to support this it needs a codec - software that can enCOde/DECcode the format. A container is basically a standardised package that may contain any number of codec formats. eg an MKV could contain mpeg2, VC1, H264 etc etc. Your hardware player may support mkv (a container type) but not necessarily the format/codec contents within it. Or it supports the format but only within specific parameters.

So:

1. what exactly is the file type you have problems with, is it only mkv or is it avi as well?
2. How did you create these problematic files? What software did you use?
3. Download MediaInfo and run it on your original file and also on the problematic file(s). Select Text output in MediaInfo and post the results here.

With these pieces of information we may be able to help you better.

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your continued help.

1) it is MKV I am having the issue with not AVI (sorry for the confusing start to the thread.)
2) I used 'Make MKV' to make a direct copy of a DVD I have bought. The end file was 6.55GB. (Green Mile, its a long film.)
3) Sorry dont know how to do the last bit.

Thanks

MarkE19

3) Sorry dont know how to do the last bit.
Download and install MediaInfo on your PC - MediaInfo
Once installed right click on the MKV etc and from the drop down menu select 'mediainfo' and the program will open with the details of the file you right clicked on.
Click on 'view' menu option at the top of mediainfo and select 'text' from the drop down menu.
Click at the top of the listed info and drag to the bottom (keep mouse button held) to highlight it all.
Right click and select 'copy' from the menu
create a reply in this thread and then right click and select 'paste' to copy the info from mediainfo into the thread

Easy :D

ie:
General
Complete name : D:\Mark\Desktop\allcomingback.mov
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 30.7 MiB
Duration : 5mn 52s
Overall bit rate : 729 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2006-08-09 22:15:04
Tagged date : UTC 2006-08-09 22:15:10
Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID : 1
Format : Sorenson 3
Codec ID : SVQ3
Codec ID/Info : Sorenson Media Video 3 (Apple QuickTime 5)
Duration : 5mn 52s
Source duration : 5mn 52s
Bit rate : 598 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.065
Stream size : 25.1 MiB (82%)
Source stream size : 25.1 MiB (82%)
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2006-08-01 16:17:10
Tagged date : UTC 2006-08-09 22:15:10

Mark.

MarkE19

I've never had any issues with it on my PC, so not sure why an AV program would have a problem with it :confused:

Mark.

paulmcp2403

My anti virus really seems to hate this programme are you sure its safe? I keep getting multiple warnings that its not
with all due respect...I see you are new to these forums....these forums are not like a lot of others...we respect people and try to give helpful advice....Mark is a member with over a decades experience and more importanlty he has been thanked 1600 times...he can be trusted :thumbsup:

fonejackerjon

Novice Member
with all due respect...I see you are new to these forums....these forums are not like a lot of others...we respect people and try to give helpful advice....Mark is a member with over a decades experience and more importanlty he has been thanked 1600 times...he can be trusted :thumbsup:
I dont doubt it and I am very grateful for any help received. Ill try installing again. I am using Avast anti-virus

Rom

I have been using MediaInfo for years (and I also have built it into my application for the popcorn hours) and I use Avast! as well. It never reports a problem with it. Are you sure you got the program from the link mark provided? It should be from the sourceforge page.

Also, it dos (if I remember correctly) ask if you want to add a 3rd party toolbar (I think) - this helps the developer get cash for their free tool. Uncheck that (unless you really want it).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Trending threads

Top Bottom