1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do folks still go for budget LCD in perferrence to DLP tech?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cyberheater, Apr 13, 2005.

1. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I just don't get it.

Is it ignorance or folks trying to play it safe.

I see quite a few threads these days when folks are asking about Hitachi PJ-TX10 projector which give you 800:1 contrast ratio but for less money you can get a BenQ BP6100 projector that will be brighter and give you 2000:1 contrast ratio.

Why do folks prefer the first and not the latter. I'm really curious.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Probably because, like all problems discussed on a forum board, the negative aspects of the technology tend to be blown out of proportion. The thought of rainbows will put people off, even if it only effects a small percentage of users.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I can't recall seeing any threads mentioning the TX10 lately? :confused:

...PJ

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy the LCD Panasonic AE700 but so far no sellers can tell me if the stock they sell will have upto date firmware.

As for not wanting DLP, i did a lot of research before making my decision and its not just rainbows but a question of the latest LCD technology being able to compete with DLP and give just as good a pic quality without any inherent problems ( save perhaps for chickenwire effect which according to reviews isn't a problem with the panasonic i'm interested in )

5. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    For me I went for a z3 as has it has a resolution of 1280 by 720. Which i do not think I can get from a dlp for £1200. Not sure it is all about contrast is it?
    I was projecting into a room that can be dark.

If a dlp can do what the z3 does for that price i would agree...hopefully it cannot. :(

PS Hope i made the right decision.

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget is relative, my new tosh ET1 may not be the best quality PJ ever, but at 360 quid it might be the best value.

7. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Was looking at LCD's myself until I saw the Benq PE5120. It looks to be one of the best budget DLP's and at £600 including an Xbox and game, it's not a bad deal at all.

8. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are several issues... The budget DLP machines have slower colour wheels (typically 2x for the BenQ models, which for me means rainbow hell) i.e. more rainbows / fatigue. Even with fast colour wheel DLP projectors, I end up with a headache and feel slightly nauseus. So in this regard, LCD is the only option.

If you don't suffer rainbows or fatigue, then DLP is excellent value, especially where the BenQ PB6100/5120 are concerned.

And if you want high definition (for PC games or movies), high res DLP is in a totally different price bracket to the LCD models on offer.

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Couldnt agree more, I went for the 700 as its also 1280 x 720 native and has a scart (dont use anymore now ive finally installed my component lead), budget dlp's seem to be scarce on features compared to similar price lcd's. Only dlp ive ever seen was in the demo room at sevenoaks, it was the low end optima priced at about the same as a 500 at the time, i was less than impressed with the picture and thought that the 500 gave a brighter sharper picture despite the optimas spec saying otherwise. If I dont suffer from rainbows (which i didnt seem to) and a dlp becomes available for around 1200 quid with 1280 x 720 all the connections I need and gives a better picture than its lcd competitors I will seriously consider one, at the moment they arent available (unless someone can correct me) so for most people who want a high def unit they are not an option.

10. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the image. It will be stunning. Enjoy it :)

11. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I too decided to purchase a Benq 5120, this was an impulse buy decided on by the price.

I am very happy with it, it looks great compared to some of the LCD projectors I have seen in the past. I actually wish I had purchased one a long time ago and would happily go out and spend more than I did now that I am sat at home with one (I prefer the image quality over my RPTV).

I think a lot of the issue with rainbows is overblown and some people seem to like jumping on a band wagon. I have seen a few on the Benq when watching B&W movies by moving my vision away from and back to the screen quickly, but otherwise I have yet to see any watching films.

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    And therein is the key phrase.

"In the past".

The recent TV shootout, for example, between the TX100 and 4805 I hoped put into perspective that the old chestnut "DLP will outperform any similarly priced LCD by quite a margin" doesn't hold water any more. OK, the test can't be dscribed as scientific. But at the very least it showed the PQ was comparable (in case you missed the thread, the two people viewing both preferred LCD).

And, PQ aside, show me a WXGA DLP with H&V optical lens shift for £1K and we'll talk.

And I still can't remember a recent thread which mentioned the TX10.

:devil: ...PJ

13. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :D calm down dears they're only projectors!

stu

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Are you auditioning to take over from Michael Winner on the esure adverts?

:D ...PJ

15. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the cash'd be useful with this as a hobby

16. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Too true mate ;)

17. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Try discounttv.com (sponsors of this forum). They have at least 1 700 with 1.07. Whether it's just their demo unit or they have more updated stock I don't know.

Ray

18. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, I have a PB6200, but it seems obvious to me that you cant win people over, I dont suffer from rainbows so DLP for me isn't a problem, and I would agree that LCD is scarily close to DLP, the '700 is a great projector for the price, however I would still choose my 6200 over it, if you dont see rainbows then DLP is the logical choice.

19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent them an email yesterday and a second one today and they have not responded and also the thread i just wrote in seems to suggest the firmware is old 1.03, i will give them a call tomorrow though and try to see what the situation is as their price is extremely good, i need to find an online site for selling black out blinds though.

20. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    The reason i went for a LCD, i have a Z2, was at the time of buying this (way back in Nov 03) when i demo'd various DLP units i kept getting eyestrain/pain in one of my eyes. The models i were viewing were 1024x576 as thats all i wanted at the time because thats what the native resolution of pal material is.

I have viewed the more recent DLP machines and no longer suffer from the said problem, DLP will therefore be my next purchase.

I do not want to go back in resolution as i now have seen the benefits of having 1280x720 i.e i have hcpc scaling to this, xbox hidef, blu ray and hd round the corner plus xbox 2 but i also do not want to pay the excessive premium (imo) of a 1280 x720 DLP machine. When a 1280 x 720 DLP model is around the £2k mark (and after my wedding) i will more than likely (quality dependent) pull the trigger and make a purchase.

They are getting to this price range now especially with the release of the new Sharp model, and i can wait another few months.

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Yet to see a single chip DLP that didn't rainbow but I also see refresh artifacts on plasmas and CRT projectors. I'll wait for the 3 chippers to come down in price or Dila to make an impact. Quite happy with my HS20 for the time being.

Interestingly enough we have a 3 chip theatre grade 2048x1556 resolution DLP in our screening room at work . Its HUGE , I can fit my head inside the lens hood!
    I've yet to see it in action though but people tell me it indistinguishable from 35mm with the exception of a little aliasing on diagonals.

22. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

23. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Since rainbows are related to the way people's brains process the picture you can't apply one rule to everyone. Just because you're not affected doesn't mean others aren't. I'm affected by 60hz flicker on crt monitors, but others don't notice it. If you're not affected that's great, but for those that are affected it can be a serious problem, hence they don't go for DLP.

24. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was always planning to test DLP first, but I decided to settle for LCD. It was mainly because even though I may have not had a problem with DLP, anyone else watching the PJ may have done. Including my 1 year old who can't tell me about rainbows at the moment!

25. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not wanting to hijack the thread guys but for FoxyMulder the AE700's are 1.07 and we have a good quantity in stock. :thumbsup:

26. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks Ben

I bought one yesterday off you and you are delivering tuesday.

27. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    LCD seems to suffer from vertical banding, I haven't seen one which doesn't suffer banding.
    DLP does not seem to suffer from vertical banding, i have seen several dlp pj's and none suffered this.
    My Current Benq PE5120 has no banding and much more film like than LCD, I do suffer from the rainbow effect but not enough to give me headaches.
    My son also see's them but I did describe them to him first so he looked for them. The Wife and daughter do not suffer from them and I have never mentioned them to them.

28. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for LCD because of the resolution factor and also because i want to connect my PC to it, if DLP had similiar resolution at the same price i would definately have considered it.

29. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    No vertical banding on my HS20 fed by an HTPC.

30. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Just a note for all you lucky people who aren't affected by DLP rainbows. I watched movies on a few DLPs before I bought my Z3 and they always left me feeling like someone had hammered a nail into my skull right between the eyes.

Incidentally 60Hz refresh monitors do a similar job after enough time (I used to work with VDUs pretty all day long). It ain't funny!!