Why do different Blu-ray players output video at different brightness levels?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pi314, Jan 29, 2009.

1. pi314

pi314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently purchased a Panasonic BD35 Blu-ray player. Prior to getting my BD35, I'd used tv settings provided by a well known calibrator and regular of the forums (********). His settings were created using a PS3 as source. Via the SD version of Digital Video Essentials and a Xbox 360, I confirmed that his choice for the tv's brightness setting was spot on. However with these settings my BD35 crushes blacks and hence I've had to increase by tv's brightness setting by +1 (I my even increase it another +1).

I found this all a bit surprising. I would of thought Blu-ray players essentially uncompressed the info on the disc and sent it to the tv. (By the way I have a 1080p display and hence my BD35 is not scaling the image.) Anyone know why black/brightness levels would be different for different model Blu-ray players?

2. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's an interesting question. I calibrated my tv input for my laptop using an eyeone display 2 and found that the same settings worked well on all the other inputs, especially sky. My BD30 is too bright, however and the black borders on films are distinctively visible against the black bezel of the TV. The contrast is much better on sky, 360 and naturally near perfect on the laptop.

I notice that the BD30 has some picture settings in the setup menu which I've been reluctant to play with as I can't understand why it would not essentially be perfect out of the box. I think I'm going to have to tinker though as it is annoying since it makes the TV appear to be inept with contrast and pale in comparison to watching other sources when blu should be the best looking source!

Maybe it's similar to how tv's are usually exaggerated as standard to stand out more in the showroom and the picture settings on default are too bright...

3. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

Players typically have setting that enable different output options beyond just resolution even with native 1920x1080 material. Not all players offer the same options or use the same settings as default. Some examples are colour space (RGB, YCC 4:2:2, YCC 4:4:4), HDMI "Deep colour", HDMI Black level (Normal/Enhanced) etc. Some devices such as the PS3 require a combination of settings to avoid clipping for example and this may make a difference depending on the desired calibration target for black/white levels.

The display device should treat these option settings in different ways so it's worth checking the settings are common if possible. Also using SD material to calibrate for HD material may be problematic depending on if the SD material is upscaled by the source to HDTV resolution as gamut/luma mattrix are converted to HDTV standards.

Beyond that the manufacturers may choose a particular gamma or other tweak to differentiate the product image.

AVI

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. pi314

pi314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm pretty sure all the player settings are set correctly, having gone through everything carefully. One thing the player does is upconvert to 12 bits / primary colour. I'm not sure if this is having an effect as I can't disable it.

I rechecked the brightness setting again using both Digital Video Essentials and the AVSHD calibration package. This latter package is HD rather than SD. My conclusion is that my tv brightness should be set to "+2" or "+3" depending on the amount of light in the room. (Actually if I could set it at "+2.5", I'd probably be happy with it under all my viewing conditions.) My original setting was "+2". Given that this is my first Blu-ray player, I'm only now seeing what my tv is truly capable of and associated with that could be a heightened level of obsessiveness in getting the picture just right :D I'll have to do some more movie viewing - it could well be that the player is not altering the black level.

mudstuff,
    If you do alter your settings for viewing via your BD30, you may be better off altering the tv settings rather than the BD30 settings. For the BD35, at least, its been reported that altering its setting can have bad effects on the picture such as increased colour banding.

5. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for the heads up. I tried chaning the contrast and brightness but saw no difference. I don't want to change the tv settings as everything is connected through my amp to that input and everything else is fine.

Guess i'll just have to hurry up and build a htpc since that will be calibrated by my eyeone display2 and look perfect just like my laptop. It's weird, you can see the screen get brighter when you switch inputs to the bluray player. Doesn't happen with any other source.

6. Pulse1

Pulse1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    As Avi has pointed out you need to change the settings in the setup menu.

7. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have tried altering the settings but to no effect, as previously mentioned. To clarify, the bluray player uses the same input as my other devices and they are all fine. The BD30 seems to just be brighter for some reason. The picture is fine, just blacks aren't as dark and deep as they should be and the letterbox bars stand out more than other devices.

My TV backlight is down low so it's nothing to do with that, appears to be the BD30. However, the picture settings didn't make any difference.

I'll tinker a bit more but basically it's the bluray player and the problem is alleviated using my laptop or a htpc so I'll just build one sooner than later.