Why do consumer electronics companies give their products such unmemorable names?

Frank Smith

So, I am in the market for a new soundbar. I'm not an expert so largely going off reviews, this forum and some other bits. One thing is that it's quite difficult to keep track of what items you are looking at. Take my current search bar at the moment; I have

• LG SL8YG
  • LG SL9YG
  • SAMSUNG HW-Q800T
  • SAMSUNG HW-Q950T

Now, I can make an assumption that the higher the number, the best/most recent the product. But then you have similar names but the letter is different or I search for the Samsung soundbar and it turns out it has the same name as one of the TVs. I guarantee you, if Apple (and I am by no means a fan of their products) releases a soundbar or a TV, there will be 2-3 options (maybe even just one), and it would be clear which is which. iBar, iBar Pro and IBar Max as an example.

I have spent days looking at various soundbars and on the Currys website there are 15 just from LG alone. I want up-firing speakers, Dolby Atmos etc. so can narrow this down but for your consumer who's less technically inclined than I am, the choice must be difficult. Not too much of a problem now but can you imagine if Apple were to release a product and simply say who have a low, mid and upper range option, the competition will lose so much market share because of how much of a simpler choice they are presented with a particular brand.

rousetafarian

Currys is a great example of how confusing things can get as they often advertise products with their own bespoke product codes that are approved by the manufacturer, as an example;

Samsung model number. A12345ABC
Currys model number A12345ABD

Yet they are exactly the same product but the Currys model will be an ‘Exclusive’

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom