1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do amps have video outs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by loofer, Dec 15, 2004.

1. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm looking at the connection optins on a load of stand alone av recievers and they all seem to have s-video/composite/component video out ports, surely you plug a vieod source straight into a display don't you? do amps actually process video? ie turn a composite-in into a component-out?

2. emote

emote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they just pass it straight through unchanged.

The purpose is to allow you to use the input selection controls on the amp to switch the video source too.

You'd get less interference on your image by connecting the source straight to the display though.

3. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right, i understand now, thought there was some kind of jiggery pokery going on :blush:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there are a fair few (higher spec models ) that will do video up conversion...S-video in for severak devices and then component out so you just need one cable to display (not much help for TV owners but for plasma and projector owners a god send running 6 cables to a wall or ceiling mounted display is hard and messy)

5. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But in reality, the apparent composite/S-Video to component 'upconversion' is a misnomer. Original signals (either composite or S-video) will still retain their original quality (or a lack of it!), in spite of the 'upconversion'. In my opinion, this is a 'convenience' gimmick - nothing more. If any of your video sources connected to the amp isn't component, then there's very little point in connecting the amp to your video monitor via component. The only useful application is when you've got component running from one source to the amp and non-component from the rest. But then again, wouldn't running the component directly from source to video monitor be better in that circumstance? I certainly think so.

reservoir51

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The convenience factor is not to be overlooked too quickly. For example, I have two sources with component out, but only one component input to my TV. My receiver's ability to "switch" outputs works well enough (certainly no worse than any other switchbox I might purchase) and I have fewer cables going to the TV (not a major issue for me, but for the wall hangers, I can well understand). Also, some higher end models (Yamaha, Denon and HK, I'm pretty sure and others are no doubt in the works) do offer video processing or upscaling, which is different from the switchbox function commonly found on many receivers.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    some recievers have good upscaling (like a cheaper scaler) and while quality is no better the convience of video and ausio being switched as one is indeed very useful......... next step up is an AV processor Lexicon MEridian etc... these do greast scaling of video and processing of audio...